Opinions on Tivo 2nd gen PVR's.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Price, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Brian Price

Brian Price Stunt Coordinator

Hello all. I'm considering getting one of the TIVO 2's. This are the new model. It looks like I can get a 60hr model for about $299. Anybody own one that could give me an opinion? How does TIVO compare to Replay TV? If the HD is 60 hrs then how much can I record at the higher quality settings? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Brian

2. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Hi Brian,

I have a first generation Sony Tivo but have no experience with the newer ones. Mine is a 30 hour model which will give me approx 9 hours of the best quality. A 60 hour model should give approx 18-20 hours at the best setting. Honestly though on my 32" sony tv the lowest (basic) quality does a good enough job for all my tv shows. Sporting events however need a higher setting due to all the movement. The newer models of ReplayTV now require a monthly fee or lifetime subscription so the differences between the two are slim. ReplayTV does offer a few features that I find interesting like being able to set-up the recorder via the web and the ability to share recorded programs with other uses via the machines built in modem. That said I love my Tivo and would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Jeff

3. John Knowles

John Knowles Stunt Coordinator

John
    I went from a Philips 20 hour to a 60 hour series 2 (the Philips died and was replaced under warranty). Other than the very slight difference in the remote and the increased recording time (which is plenty for me), I see no difference in the quality of the recordings or the software that runs it. There are a couple of USB ports on the series 2s, but I have no use for them at the moment. Overall, I really like my Tivo and highly reccommend them to people if they aren't scared away by the cost. Never used Replay though...

4. Ron Newsome

Ron Newsome Stunt Coordinator

5. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

I have a friend who just got one and dropped in a 2nd drive for added recording time. He also was able to hook it up via a USB-Ethernet adapter so that it can download the listings over his cable modem.

He says the Tivo works great. I haven't gotten to see it in action though.

6. MikeHerbst

MikeHerbst Stunt Coordinator

I've had my 60Hr Series 2 for about 3 weeks now, and I'm loving it so far.

After the first couple of daily calls, the unit upgraded itself to 3.0, which has the driver support for the USB->ethernet adaptors. I'm running that and my MP3 player (in the same rack) into a switch, and then into my linksys router and my tivo makes its daily call over the broadband connection. Very fast compared to the POTS modem.

My info page says something like 21hours on best quality, but I've set my default to "High" and I'm getting quite a bit more than that. I haven't filled it up yet, and the picture quality is sufficient for TV viewing, although I note a small degradation from the S-Vid signal coming from my Digital set-top box. (Due to the mpeg encode/decode process).

Since the TiVo is in my home theater rig, the included remote wasn't really going to control my TV, Receiver, etc. but the TiVo remote codes are supported pretty well by the One-For-All JP1 remotes, so I control it from the same universal remote that controls everything else (including the fireplace).

My only complaint with the system right now is that due to lameness on the part of my cable provider (Time Warner) my box occasionally dowloads new firmware and then defaults to the "off" state. Last weekend it did it on a Friday night while we were out of town and I TiVo'd 6 hours of black screen. Bummer, but not the fault of the TiVo itself.

7. Brian Price

Thanks for the Sony link. The Sony seems to be a nice unit. I believe it comes with a 1 yr parts and labor warranty vs 90 days on the TIVO brand unit? Is that the right warranty period for the TIVO brand? I figure an extra $50 for the Sony unit isn't that bad. Anyone agree? Anybody have experience with the new or old Sony TIVO's? When you watch a show off of the TIVO units is there any artifacting, etc or would I not even know I was watching something off a hard drive vs a cassette or dvd, etc.? I'm assuming I will use the highest quality setting on the unit. Thanks again.

Brian

8. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

I like the Tivo remote better than the Sony's; it's more comfortable in my hand. YMMV. If you are planning on getting a universal remote this point would be moot.

If worried about warranties you might be better off getting extended warranty from the merchant. Personally I'd just pocket the $50. Worst case scenario is probably the unit breaks out of warranty, they charge you $100 to fix it (based on most reports). Net loss, $50. Since the odds that the unit breaks after surviving the initial warranty period, but within the extended warranty are pretty low, the odds are heavily in your favor that you "win" $50 rather than lose it, by not getting the warranty. There's a reason the stores push those things so heavily; it's because they are making a lot of money on those bets.

9. Brian Price

Wow, I didn't realize that a TIVO was that solid at the higher settings. I've never seen one play back any material. Thanks for the input. I'm leaning toward the new Sony.

Brian

10. Rodney

Rodney Supporting Actor

11. Rodon

Rodon Second Unit

i have the 80hr Series 2 Tivo and it is great. Everyone claims Tivo is going under but I bought one anyways. My wife LOVES it (she was teh reason I bought it). Once you watch a few cable shows with it you will like it as well.

I paid $250 for mine from a buddy at Best Buy.
    Then paid teh lifetime subscription for another $250.

We like ours.

I wish it was the same width as other components.

I also use mine with my Pronto - works great.

12. Andy L

Andy L Stunt Coordinator

I'm another who's totally sold on TiVo. We've got a series 2 to which I added a 120GB hard drive. I'm a picture quality freak so I record everything at Best, thus the requirement for all the added storage. We started out using Medium and High, but the artifacts were too much for me. In fact, I still often watch sports live (not through TiVo at all) on my 36" TV because I still see some artifacts. However, watching sports is about the only time that I see artifacts as long as I use Best.

That being said, the convenience of being able to watch what you want, when you want to watch it and being able to skip commericals to boot is awesome.