Aris A

Stunt Coordinator
First of all here's my equipment:
Harman Kardon AVR 85 - 5.1 channel
JBL SCS Series surround speakers + subwoofer
Denon 900 DVD
JBL LXE990 floorstanders(10")
Mits 65"

I'm keeping the receiver for now to control all my video/audio sources. The receiver has a multi-room feature which needs an outboard amp to power it. I already wired the area for the multi-room feature. Now I'm planning to purchase the Sherbourn(7)channel amplifier which I'm going to hookup the fronts L & R speakers, center by way of pre-outs at the back of the receiver and leave the rears the way it is.

I'm left with 4 channels free from the Sherbourn amp which I'm planning to use for the multi-room. The amp is 200 watt/channel which leaves me no choice but to use it. Is 200 watt safe to use for exterior speakers? The speakers would probably be a 60 watter. Should I just purchase a separate amplifier fit for the exterior speakers?

Reason being for the Sherbourn is that I have an extra floorstander with which either I'm planning to keep or purchase a better one and purchase a tube preamp solely for music.

Thanks for any help out there.

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
Generally speaking, there is more danger to your speakers when using an amplifier that is underpowered. You will be fine as long as you don't crank it up to unrealistically loud volumes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks