Opinions on these JBL options...............

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen Houdek, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

S
    I posted this in another thread on JBL but want a bigger response, so I'll post it on its own.......

I had a chance to demo some stuff yesterday. Listened to the Bose stuff which sounded like crap. (I was in Best Buy so it was there).

They had a nice JBL Demo space and I really liked the "S" series.

I have three options I'm considering.

Option 1:

JBL Scenter -Center of course

JBL S312 -Fronts

JBL S38 -Rears

SVS Sub?

Sunfire Sub?

Option 2:

JBL Scenter -Center again

JBL S38's -Fronts & Rears

SVS Sub?

Sunfire Sub?

Option 3:

JBL Scenter -Center

JBL S312 -Fronts

JBL N26 -Rears

SVS Sub?

Sunfire Sub?

Option 4:

JBL Scenter -Center

JBL S312 -Fronts

JBL S36 -Rears

SVS Sub?

Sunfire Sub?

The reason I"m considering the N26's or S36's for the rears is I'm concerned about having to wall mount them. I'm not sure, but logistics may force me to wall mount. The S38's in the rear would have to be put on stands.

Any opinions on mixing the S with the N's for the rears? I figure that should have little impact since the rears "should" be less critical. Also, any opinions on the S312's versus the S38's for the front? The S312's seemed better for music than the 38's but weren't a huge difference.

Also, would the SVS sub (which I couldn't audition with this setup) compliment this setup? Would it favor one or the other?

Thanks for your input.

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Should be a nice system whichever way you go. I prefer towers in the front for a nice full soundstage and also for the look. All of the S-series are nice IMO, even the 310.

Only you can finalize on whether the S38's would be just too 'fat' (sound and Sizewise) as rears. Are you saying that if you pursued options #1 or #2 you might not have the real estate for the rear 38's? Or you just don't want the stands?

I am not running any JBL's currently so I can't comment on the Sub issue but either brand mentioned sounds like a good choice. I have not found JBL's difficult to blend.

3. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I just came back from best buy myself and checked out the same thing you did. I was very impressed with the JBL's. I have the S-Center already and I'm looking for surrounds. I can tell you that I was impressed with the n26. I played some rap and pop and I thought the bass for this size speaker was well above average. I was thinking about getting the S26 from JANDR.COM until I saw this pair (n26). I'm still undecided, but if I need to save money I would have no problem using the n26 as surround speakers (not that critical for music listening but I think they do a decent job). Let me know what you're going with when you're ready...

4. parin_patel

parin_patel Stunt Coordinator

The S312/S36/S-Center combination has worked out great for me. I went for the tower speakers for the fronts mainly because I think they did a better job of reproducing 2-channel music sources than the S38's. I am also in an apartment, and since I get plenty of good tight bass from the 12 inch woofers on the S312's, I've decided to do without the subwoofer for now.
    I also think that mixing the N-series with the S-series for the rears could also work out well. Timbre matching isn't too much a concern for rear speakers. Actually, I have a friend who's using a ND310/N26/S-Center combination which works pretty well for him. However, after comparing our systems, I've found that the high and mid frequencies have more detail and clarity in the S-Series.
    I think any of the combinations would work out well for you depending on your price constraints, but if you could, you should definately consider pairing the JBL speakers with a SVS sub. I have heard nothing but good things about SVS and they pretty much give the best performance for the money.
    Personally, if I didn't to worry about disturbing my neighbors, I would have gone for either a JBL S312/S26/S-Center/SVS PCi setup or a JBL S36/S-Center/SVS CS+ setup myself.
    Edit:
    A 7.1 setup using S36's/S-Center and twin SVS subs got a very good review at this site:
    http://www.digitalvortex.com/jbl_s36's_&_s_center.htm

5. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Agent

MY two cents Go with option two with the svs 25-31PCi.You can't go wrong I demoed the JBL's in Best Buy's and prefered the S-38's over all the rest.I am a long time fan of JBL ,have had them for almost 30 yrs. They still sound good L-36's.I am also looking into the Divas they are getting a tremendouse responce here and are having a summer sale right now Good Listening with your choice,Michael