Opinions on these Criterions? (Notorious,39 Steps, Godfrey,8 1/2, Joan of Arc, others

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick McCart, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I considered buying My Man Godfrey at first, but I'm now at a dead-lock between these titles:

8 1/2

Notorious

Passion of Joan Of Arc

Sparticus

The 39 Steps

Sullivan's Travels

The Bank Dick

My Man Godfrey

Nanook of the North

I'd consider buying any of these, but what are your opinions on these discs in terms of presentation, movie quality (good or ok movie?), and supplements?

2. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

I have 8 1/2, Notorious, The 39 Steps, Sullivan's Travels and My Man Godfrey. All of them are highly recommended. The audio & video presentation is excellent and all of them are loaded with extras.
    Notorious and The 39 Steps are must-haves if you are a Hitchcock fan. Sullivan's Travels and My Man Godfrey are lightweight comedies (not laugh-out-loud funny), and Sullivan's Travels the better of the two (in my opinion).

3. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

I have 8 1/2, Notorious, Spartacus, and The 39 Steps. Since I am a sucker for Hitchcock I would probably lean toward The 39 Steps, as my first choice in your list. Absolutely classic, and the disc is top-notch.
    Though I can say I am leaning toward making Sullivan's Travels my next addition out of the Criterion Collection.
    -Chad

4. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

Of those you listed, I own Notorious, Joan of Arc, Spartacus, 39 Steps, Sullivan's Travels, and My Man Godfrey. I've not yet had the chance to watch Joan of Arc all the way through, but the others are all fantastic movies. My favorite of the bunch would be The 39 Steps, followed closely by My Man Godfrey. I won't suggest which one to buy first, because with a list like that you really can't go wrong.

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I got Notorious and 8 1/2.

Thanks for your input!

That makes an order of 8 1/2, Notorious, Universal Monsters Collection (8-discs), The Circus, and the Lawrence of Arabia soundtrack CD.

Gotta love amazon's free shipping for orders over 100 bucks! (This one is right at $230)

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Notorious is glorious: Ingrid Bergman, the movie itself, the way it looks, Ingrid Bergman, the DVD setup and features, Ingrid Bergman, and Ingrid Bergman.

Truly a top notch Ingrid Bergman, er, I mean, DVD.

7. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Yeah, what Mike Broadman said.

8. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I have all of those you listed with the exception of Nanook of the North which is on my to-buy list.

8 1/2 and Notorious were good choices, but the others are excellent in their own right. I've never seen My Man Godfrey look so good! Ditto for Sullivan's Travels which also has a nice array of supplements including a fine documentary on Preston Sturges. If you enjoy classic comedy, pick 'em up. I'll also recommend The Lady Eve, another Preston Sturges gem. The Passion of Joan of Arc belongs in the library of any serious film buff and Criterion's edition does the film justice - I doubt that we'll get anything better. The Bank Dick, while completely lacking in supplements, is certainly worth the $25.00 you'll pay for it. Classic W.C. Fields that for the most part, holds up very well. The 39 Steps is classic early Hitchcock and well worth having - it also looks very good. Spartacus, while not my favorite of the bunch, is nonetheless a good film and features a nice batch of supplements.

9. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Let me just comment on the ones I know best:

"The Passion of Joan of Arc" - IMO, one of the greatest discs ever released by Criterion or anyone else.

"Notorious" - my second favorite Hitchcock movie and the best Hitch disc I've seen (and I've seen all of the major ones, but not all the laserlights, etc.). Though the print's not in quite as good a shape as the one used for Rebecca, I think the array of extras are even better (even though it's a single-disc release). Both commentaries are fantastic, and I'm a commentary fiend! And loads of other very entertaining stuff, to boot.

"8 1/2" - along with "Nights of Cabiria", the very best Fellini film/supplements package on DVD. The transfer is amazing (though a tad bright?), and the extras are truly informative and entertaining. Tough call between this one and "Cabiria" - I love 'em both!

"Sullivan's Travels" - a great release, though I prefer Criterion's "The Lady Eve". I was very disappointed by the commentary track on "Sullivan's Travels", whereas I'm a huge fan of Marian Keane's commentaries, and her track for "The Lady Eve" is one of her best.

10. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Passion of Joan of Arc is simply wonderful; Patrick, since I know you like silents, this is a must for you.

My Man Godfrey looks spectacular and has a ton of great extras. It was #3 on my top 10 DVDs of 2001.

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I agree with everything Deepak said except that I can't imagine someone not finding Sullivan's Travels laugh out loud funny.
    Sure, it has its dramatic moments and it's not as funny as "Hey Hey in the Hay Loft", "So Long Sarong", or "Ants in Your Plants of 1939", but it's right up there. [​IMG]
    Regards,

12. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

First, let me say hurray for Rich. This is the first post I've seen from you. I was awaiting the return and hadn't heard that you started posting again. [​IMG]
    I own these already:
    Notorious - excellent disc
    Sparticus - excellent disc, film looks great
    The 39 Steps - excellent disc
    The Bank Dick - bare bones but solid Fields stuff
    And watched the Criterion of this in film class:
    Nanook of the North
    A great piece of early documentary filmmaking. I believe this film is credited with creating that style of narrative documentary in fact.
    I have been leaning toward buying Sullivan's despite having never seen it. I've only seen part of 8 1/2 and Joan of Arc as well. Save your comments as I already know your opinions of this facts. [​IMG][​IMG] I'm working on it.

13. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

The Passion of Joan of Arc is a great disc and an absolutely spellbinding movie, IMHO.

14. JoeDeM

JoeDeM Stunt Coordinator

Joe