Opinions on these Boston Acoustic Speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Shawn N, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Shawn N

Shawn N Agent

I've previously asked about speaker suggestions and had been looking at the Athena Point 5 system that retail for $399 (no sub just 5 speakers). I had been given a couple other set ups too listen to and still plan to audition those. While doing some searching my own I stumbled on to the following Boston Acoustic speakers in the same price range:

Front and Rear Surround Boston Acoustic CR55 $150 pair (or CR65's for $200 pair)
    Center Boston Acoustic CRC $200.

This puts me at $500 still with a sub to buy. (w/cr65's $600)

Anybody have thoughts on these speakers? If anybody thinks they would sound as good or better I can go listen to them. Just don't want to waste the drive if not.

2. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Shawn N,

Boston Acoustics aren't very popular on the discussion forums, but I think they're fantastic speakers (I'm obviously biased -- they're what I own). I have not heard the particular models you mention, but I'd say they're definitely worth auditioning.

-Robb

3. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Shawn: if you like Athena's speakers, you will probably like Boston's (I like the Athenas, and I own Bostons). Don't worry that they aren't spoken of very much: to me Boston Acoustics is one of the few value-oriented speaker companies left that use high quality sound reproduction parts in their speakers but leave out useless frills that just jack up the price (IIRC, you don't get real wood veneers until you hit the top of their model line, the VR-M series). And I think their relaxed and happy-go-lucky attitude scares the audio snobs. Just because a company places a bust of Mozart or piles (yikes!) some jazz records alongside their speakers in a photo on their website doesn't mean they will automatically sound good; that is simply what is called M-A-R-K-E-T-I-N-G. [​IMG]

Anyway..........

I've heard those CR speakers and I do like them: as usual for Bostons they have great bass output for their respective sizes & have a lively but not harsh high end. But just wish the cabinets were available in other colors besides black. If you can swing it financially, for your front mains I would try to buy the CR75's. Their 6.5" woofers can better handle the bass frequencies; even if you set your HT receiver to "small" fronts quite a lot of powerful lows can still squeeze through & knock the cones around (but this also all depends on how loud you listen to your music & movies).

BTW: why don't you buy that Parts Express 10" subwoofer for $125 and gives us a report on it? The previous model got great reviews and I'm thinking of buying this new version myself.

LJ

4. Shawn N

Shawn N Agent

Thanks Lance,

Now I'm trying to decide between the Boston Accoustics, Polk Audio, and Athenas. I'll consider the sub, can't beat that price.

5. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

I too am a very happy Boston Acoustics owner. I auditioned a number of what I consider "mid-fi" speaker lines. Boston was by far my favorite. I compared them to Klipsch, Mirage, and a few others. I use mine for music and movies and found they handle both very well. I've got the Lynnefield VR line (VR-950's and a VR-10 up front) and a pair of Micro-90x in the rear. I'm not sure why more people don't buy BA speakers. Maybe their distribution and marketing isn't that broad.

There is a BA owners forum at www.hometheaterspot.com where you may be able to get more feedback on these particular speakers.