What's new

Opinions on the Sony KV-27FV17, please. (1 Viewer)

Matt C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Hi all, I am looking to buy myself a new television fairly soon (upgrading from a year old Panasonic 20" Panablack absolute-piece-of-crap). 27" is my optimum size, and I would like a flatscreen. After watching my friend's 27" year old Wega, I've decided that a Wega will be the TV for me. It has an excellent picture, and it won me over right away. I have also watched a JVC I'Art, and while it also had a nice picture, I really like the convenience of an actual 16:9 mode without using the service menus.
My question is, what do people think of the TV mentioned in the subject? How's your own experiences with it's picture? How about the geometry - can any minor problems be fixed in the service menu? How's the detail and color? Is this TV plagued with the variable brightness problem that older sets have had? Anything else I should know about this model television?
Help is, as always, appreciated.
-Matt Cook

ThucN

Agent
I am also looking to get a 27" Wega. I did some research in this forum, and it seems to me that the Sony KV-27FS13 is the same as the KV-27FV17, except that the FS13 has a few less features but, more importantly, is less expensive.
Go to this link to find out more about the differences between the FV and FS series: http://www.geocities.com/chuckster04...l?979805025460
Also do a search for "27FS13" (or 27FV17) in the TV/Projectors forum to read about other people's experiences.
Thuc

Matt C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Thanks for the info! Buying one in the FS series definitely seems to make more sense, especially since I will be watching mostly DVDs, so it bypasses the filter, and I have a new Onkyo 696 receiver, which will most definitely be used almost all the time. Oh, and I have no real need for PIP... Thanks again, by going with teh FS, I'm going to probably save a pretty good bundle of cash!
Anyone else have some opinions on either of these sets? Also, where can I go to get some more detailed info on the set, or any user reviews?
-Matt Cook

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Matt, you can try www.audioreview.com for user/consumer reviews of tvs as well as other equipment. I am not sure how many reviews they have for the various Sony tvs but it's worth a look I should think.
good luck,
--tom

Matt C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Hmmm, I've tried audioreview, epinions, and cnet, and haven't been able to find any reviews on the 27FS13. I found plenty on last year's FS12, but none for this years (or the equivilent picture FV17 model). Anyone know of any other review spots? How about professional reviews?
BTW, I did check the search for the HTF television forum, but there was very little mention on the television...
-Matt Cook

ThucN

Agent
My assumption is that the 27FS13 is at least as good as last year's 27FS12. I don't know whether that's a safe assumption, but I would be surprised if last year's model was better than this year's model.
So assuming the FS12 and FS13 are similar, all of the reviews you read on the FS12 are applicable to the FS13.
Good luck choosing.
[Edited last by ThucN on July 30, 2001 at 09:44 PM]
[Edited last by ThucN on July 30, 2001 at 09:45 PM]

Chris Speights

Auditioning
I was deciding on the same thing between the 36FS13 and the 36FV17. One other thing you lose with the FS13 is the S-control which should just tune the TV to the right input if you have a sony receiver. I'm not positive if the FV17 has this off hand but I know the FV27 did.
The picture is awesome on the TV though. I've had it for a week or so and I'm well pleased. It has the uneven brightness problem and a blue tint in the lower right corner only when I view Avia patterns (can't notice it otherwise). I'm a little disappointed to hear that the choke replacement didn't fix te uneven brightness problem, but I have a 5 year warranty on it so I might wait and save up some money so that if they can't fix it in 3 tries, then I'll just upgrade the TV to an XBR (I can hope can't I?).
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks