What's new

Opinions on "The Sin of Harold Diddlebock" DVD from Allied Artists Classics? (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I found a DVD of the Preston Sturges-Harold Lloyd comedy, "The Sin of Harold Diddlebock" on Amazon.com but I'm wondering how the quality is...

This is a REALLY funny movie and I'd love to get the DVD... but I'm worried that it's a typical public domain Madacy quality DVD.

Any opinions on the disc are greatly welcomed.

Page

Stunt Coordinator
What's the price?

Anything in the 9 dollar and under range and I'd be highly suspicious.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It's $17.99 on Amazon.com.

Gotham Distribution has a disc for 6 dollars, but one review for THAT disc mentions that it's straight from VHS.

I'm HOPING that for $17, that AAC would at least offer something along the lines of a Roan type disc.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
This company that calls itself Allied Artists is in no way whatsoever affiliated with the long-time independent movie company that perished in the '70's. Their assets were folded into Lorimar, which was bought by Warner Bros.

This company is engaged in PD squatting, just like Brentwood, Madacy, and Alpha. They are betting that WB won't want to spend the money suing them for co-opting a trademark that legally belongs to them. Ditto for the movies they handle. It's just fortuitous that some of these movies were in fact old Allied Artists releases that have not had legit issue -- MITCHELL, THE NEXT MAN, etc.

So basically, buyer beware!

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Harold Diddlebock is if I'm not mistaken a PD title, so expect the worst for your $17.99.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
If Harold Diddlebock is PD, I wonder why Criterion doesn't grab it. Good elements do exist -- I saw an excellent 35mm print at the Film Forum during their last Sturges retro.

Ted

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
You can get the Alpha DVD for $3.60 at DVD Empire. At that price, it might be worth the risk.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Criterion probably doesn't grab it because doing their transfer from good elements (which they'd have to pay for) would immediately be duplicated by Alpha, etc. and it would be tough to recoup the investment.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Perhaps, but they have done plenty of "from prime elements" transfers for public domain films.

My Man Godfrey, Charade, Diabolique, The Lady Vanishes, The 39 Steps, The Naked Kiss, Carnival of Souls, and the W.C. Fields short films are just a few they've done.

I doubt they have a lot to worry about... after all, not even Universal could match the quality of Criterion's transfer for Charade.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
And Carnival of Souls and WC Fields, and possibly others, were immediately ripped off. I didn't mean to imply though that there was no chance they'd do it; just that there are powerful disincentives, especially for a picture that's not very well regarded (unlike Lady Vanishes, My Man Godfrey, etc.)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Sorry to hear this is not a true Allied Artists company, as I've been praying for a decent 2.35:1 DVD of BILLY BUDD ever since the format emerged.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks