What's new

Opinions on the current 1call deal? (1 Viewer)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
1) Are the separates worth $600 more than the receiver?
2) These are re-badged Sherwood-Newcastle pieces. The reviews of the receiver are mixed bags.
3) Resale value of Boston electronics is not going to be good.

Performance seems to be good. The display is poor and the remote has a problem.

How many compromises are you prepared to live with and for how long?

I think the receiver, AVR 7120, is a better value.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I got a great deal on Sherwood Newcastle's first separates the AV-P9080 and AM-9080 and they were famtastic (I should have never gotten rid of them). This looks like a steal of a deal to me!

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Whenever I come across a deal this good, I always think to myself:

1) You get what you pay for
2) Maybe there is a reason why they are so cheap

I'm not saying that this isn't a good deal, but you might want to do a little bit of research on them 1st.

For example, let's say you take a chance and get them. What could you turn them over for on eBay or audiogon if you ended up not liking them.

Brent_S

Second Unit
Looks like BA tried to get into the electronics side of HT with a version of the Sherwood-Newcastle P-965 & A-965. After all, S-N's main line of work is being an OEM for other brands. The Outlaw Audio 990 prepro is also built by S-N on the 965 platform with a few differences. Both the 990 and the 965 have received good reviews so I wouldn't be too concerned about the BA's performance. Is it a good deal? Haven't shopped prices on the P-965, still plenty happy with my S-N AVP-9080. Would imagine you can find the 965 around $1k or less. Outlaw has a combo price on the 990 & 7125 amp for $1898, or if you can get by with a little less power, the 990/7075 for $1698. Pick your feature and aesthetic preferences.

I'm guessing the BA stuff is getting clearanced b/c either no one knew BA made prepros and/or no one was willing to spend that kind of $$$ for the BA name when you can have the same product from S-N, Outlaw and maybe a couple of other brand for half the "list" price. Audio Advisor also has the combo for $1795.

In the end, I'd say the BA's on clearance are a solid value, just like the other versions of the S-N platform. They've just been price corrected to match the market.

wbs

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
Considering the street prices of the Sherwood-Newcastle & Outlaw pieces, I'd steer clear of the BA stuff. If you have any issues, I'd think you are pretty unlikely to get much support from BA on them. You can forget about any firmware or other upgrades being supported as well.

-Dave

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Well, I am going to go against a lot of the thoughts here. I would not hesitate for a second to buy them. It is a fantastice deal and it is great gear at a low price. I have heard them and the Outlaws and both are fantastic but I would certainly give the nod to the BA....my opinion of course. I find Outlaw great for movies but not so great with music. Yes they are the same as the Sherwood's. If you are nervous abou dropping that much money Boston also had 2 high end receivers out that will offer great sound at a cheap price right now (under a grand).

Boston will still offer support on the gear....but you may want to contact them just in case. They have EXCELLENT customer support. I do agree about not getting firmware upgrades. I wonder though if the Sherwoods upgrades would work with Boston??....I doubt it but might also be worth asking.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Just found the info.....

D & M Holdings Inc.

http://news.ecoustics.com/bbs/messag...81/141231.html

Not sure if the link works....if not just copy and paste.....

That are becoming quite the company. I hope this doesn't bring Boston down though. I am not very impressed with the way their new flagship speakers look.... I also wonder how this is going to effect Snell Acoustics....Boston is their parent company.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Wow Marantz isn't owned by Phillips any more? Man, am I out of the loop.

Oh, I better say it again.... if these are as good as my AV-P9080/AM9080 combo was they are EFFING GREAT.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
For the money IMO the 7120 is still the best deal in terms of the BAs being closed out. It has the exact same AVP7 internals, no software or hardware differences. They call it an AVP7 with amping. 51.8lbs, half of it in the preamp - half in the amp.

While the deal (which ended Friday night) for the combo was good, be aware that the A7200 amp is not as stout as the Sherwood mentioned above. BA techs have informed me that even though they did not produce their original target 200W/channel that the nomenclature points to (they have rated it very conservatively at 120Wx7), it should be good for 200WX4-5 for 5.1 systems or even 150-170WX7 tops. Nothing to sneeze at for 70lbs of amp and it is very nice looking gear.

While the amping in the 7120 would be nowhere near as stout as even the A7200 it could be used for some channels in conjunction with external amping and you would have an excellent preamp all for $1K.

Now whether even this deal would beat using something like an HK 635 as a pre/pro I still can't decide. The HK gives a few more features for less money. Personally I think living without the EZSet/EQ could be done (although the low end EQ would be missed) but no HDCD for that money? What was BA thinking?

Hugh

Auditioning
Paul (or anyone that can answer this),

Can you confirm that the BA 7-channel amp is not the same as the Sherwood that has received nice reviews? I was under the impression it was simply a rebadge just like the pre/pro?

Thanks,
-Hugh

Steve Lumbert

Stunt Coordinator
The BA 7200 is a rebadge of the Sherwood A965.

I ordered both the BA AVP7 and A7200 from Audio Advisor. AA had free shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks