What's new

opinions on the best way to listen to my cds? (1 Viewer)

Rob Michaw

Stunt Coordinator
My equipment is:

Receiver: Integra DTR 7.1

Main Speakers: PSB Image 4T

CDP: NAD 523

DVD: JVC XV-D723GD

Subwoofer: Paradigm PW-2200

My question is as follows: In your opinions, which way is probably the more accurate way to listen to CDs on my system? I know that hearing the system is the real way to see which way sounds "best", but I am asking for general guidelines/opinions here based on my observations (and other opinions).

Method 1) NAD analog using Tara Labs Prism 55 in DIRECT mode

Method 2) JVC digital coax in DIRECT mode

Method 3) JVC digital coax in STEREO mode (activiating the sub)

Each way has its own sonic signature, but I will give you a little background on each method:

Method 1) In this mode, the soundstage generally sounds deepest. The upper-bass is also the "snappiest" of the three methods. Higher frequencies sound the sharpest off all modes...sometimes harsh. The width of the soundstage usually does not exceed 3-5 feet to the outside of either speaker. Sound is generally tightly focussed.

Method 2) Soundstage is similar to method 1, but slightly less focussed and slightly more shallow. The upper-bass is less snappy and less evident, and the lower bass becomes far less evident. The upper frequencies are smoother than method 1.

Method 3) Soundstage depth becomes slightly shallow in comparison to method 1. Upper-bass is there, but not as "snappy". Lower bass goes much lower (20 Hz neighborhood). Upper frequencies seem as smooth as method 2. The width of the soundstage grows tremendously...almost wrapping around me in different moments. Sound becomes far less focussed in comparison to method 1.

I like methods 1 & 3, but I can't quite put my finger on which one I like more...or why I do. Based on my description, which sounds to be the more accurate method of reproducing original intent? I guess it may depend on what recordings I am listening to, but I guess I am just looking for some personal experience and overall parameters of other users. I suppose I am looking to choose one way over the other, as opposed to continuously switching back-and-forth looking for my "favorite" sound, and hearing other's rationale might help me straighten out my own thoughts.

Thanks.

Steve Owen

Second Unit
Yes, whatever sounds best.

It's all going to come down to which D-to-A converters sounds best to you. NAD has a real good reputation and I would suspect that the DA in that CD player is of higher quality than the ones in the DVD player and the receiver.

Again, let your ears decide...

-Steve

Rob Michaw

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I wasn't really expecting anything other than that answer...but I was hoping for opinions. I really am having a tough time saying which one I like more...that is why I posted in the first place. I was just curious as to what the members thoughts between a wider, more diffuse soundstage with smoother highs, and a deeper, more focussed soundstage with slightly biting highs.

They are so different (yet good) that it is almost a wash. Just looking for what most people deem proper/desirable.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Honestly Rob, what does it really matter what other people deem "proper" or "desirable"? If it doesn't sound that way to you, then it isn't proper.

Hook it up whichever way you like best, and stick with it, and don't worry about what other people think.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks