Opinions on Sony STR-DE675

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DerekG, Mar 12, 2003.

1. DerekG

DerekG Auditioning

Does anyone have an info on this model reciever? I may be purchasing it used in the near future to replace an older Sony Pro logic reciever. I'm curious to know if it will have all the necessary inputs/outputs for future upgrades to my television or other components. I already have 2 sony 200w tower speakers, 1 sony 120w Center channel, a subwoofer that only connects with bare wire and am in the process of purchasing new rear speakers. Also From what I've seen on the recievers that I have looked at they only have a subwoofer pre-amp connector, will I have to buy a new subwoofer?

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

No need for a different sub, but you'll get better performance with a powered model.

Look at the system you have and what comprises it - how many audio and video inputs will you need, and will you add anything?

Total all this up (Say 3 audio and 2 video) and add one of each type for future additions. Look at what the 675 offers and decide if that'll be enough.

It's a fine receiver. You should be happy with it if it can serve all your needs.

3. DerekG

DerekG Auditioning

If I won't need another sub then how will I go about connecting my existing sub to the reciever if there are only enough bare wire connectors for the fronts, center, and rears.

[​IMG]

4. StevieP

StevieP Stunt Coordinator

Derek,
    Like you,when upgrading from a Sony pro-logic receiver I bought a de675 Sony from best buy about two years ago, and I have to say at first I was very,disappointed. It did not sound as good as my old Sony pro-logic DA711. Not as much bass from the same speakers! ( also old )and the equalizer was hard to understand.

I have since been caught up with this upgrade bug and have spent much more than I had ever dreamed I would, or could! (Sony DA3ES,Def Tech speakers all around, 2 Sub woofers 3 if you count the bedroom etc.)

I now use my de675 in my bedroom system, and I would say that i,m happy with it for that purpose (also new speakers)
    But back to your first question, and looking back,I don't think I would pay much for another one, but it did help me learn a lot about 5.1 Dolby (Along with reading this forum!) and what to look for in a receiver.

One of the main things I have found with the De675 is that I can't seem to shut off pro-logic decoding unless it sees a 5.1 source IE: dvd player with either coaxial digital or fiber optic cables connected to it's digital inputs (I can with my DA3es) So the old pro-logic receiver is as good or better for regular TV and VCR ! ( I think the amps were better in the pro-logic receiver )
    As to your sub woofer question the DE675 is only set up for powered sub woofers (no extra amps)but you could use your old pro logic receiver as a amp for your unpowered sub. Connect from the sub line output on DE675 to a line in on the old pro logic,then connect the sub to speaker out on the old Sony.

I guess what i'm getting at is if I had to do it all over again----and given the same low budget I had when I started, I think I should have read this forum (as you are!)and upgrade to an previous Sony ES model or some other upper end model. How much You wanna pay for that used De675?--I know where there is another one LOL !
    Anyway Good Luck,and most of all,HAVE FUN!!
    Steve.