Opinions on Sony STR-DE1075 receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brendan B, Jan 19, 2002.

1. Brendan B

Brendan B Extra

Jan 9, 2002
    Anyone have any experience with this? Is it overpriced for what it offers? Or is it a solid receiver regardless of price? If I get the Klipsch Quintets will this receiver be overkill?
    Any input will be appreciated. Thanks guys. [​IMG]
  2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

Jun 24, 1999
    I would hardly call that receiver OVERKILL. Personally, I think ANY DE series Sony is a waste of your time and money. In that price range, Marantz, Denon, Onkyo and HK, easily offer better choices. Honestly, as a former Sony DE owner for many years, I can say that if it isn't ES, it isn't worth it IMO (receivers). The DE line has less than stellar amps, possibly some of the weakest, and some of the least impressive sound reproduction for the price. I would call these budget receivers, even the 1075. At the VERY LEAST the DB1070 would be a better choice, because you at least get better amps.

My main system included a DE815 (DD ready only) that I owend for many years, and it was very reliable and served it's duty well. I was using the 815 in my bedroom after buying a Marantz SR6200, but wanted to have a digital connection and DTS. I bought a DE475 for $150 and was so unimpressed that I sold it and kept the 815 because it had a better amp.

I recently replaced the 815 with a Marantz SR4000 which easily runs circles around the 815 without even getting warm. (815 rated at 100x5, SR4000 rated at 70x2, [email protected]) Until listening to something with cleaner power, I didn't realize how poor the Sony was. The Sony would distort at half volume with just two small bookshelf speakers, while the Marantz can actually drive them far more cleanly even at lower volumes. (Paradigm Titans)
  3. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

May 29, 1999
    I agree that the DE series is not the same quality as the DB or ES series. While there are many happy DE owners, the percentage isn't near as high as the other 2 series.

Do is search here and at audioreview.com and you'll see the overall results.