What's new

opinions on Sony DAV-C990? (1 Viewer)

Albert Noel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Noel
hi everyone,

i've recently made a big jump into home theater.
(as i've spent all my time watching DVDs and such strictly using the tv's audio)

a trip to my local Sony store helped make my decision to take a bigger step.

i had the chance to audition the DAV-C990 "dream system". i was definitely impressed with it in terms of clarity and sonic reproduction, not to mention the system looks fantastic.

now, i believe the title they showed me was "Saving Private Ryan DTS" they weren't able to play it very loud as the display was too close to the door, however i would love to heat other peoples opinions on this particular setup. (will the subwoofer still sound as good at a higher volume?)

also, i really don't want the receiver/dvd player combo that comes with the package. do they sell the speakers separately? i have a Pioneer DV-434 dvd player and want to use either an Onkyo or Denon receiver.

thank you

Tommy_Y

Grip
I'll be perfectly honest with you, this thread will not get a whole lot of responses and the reason is the board does not really believe in HTIB as a good solution to the HT enthusiast.
I know because when I came here looking for info on this exact product, I got zilch info. That's not to say it's not a good system...it definitely looks great and I don't think there is a better looking system out there with those speaker-in-a-stand units.
But this forum is for enthusiasts and HTIB is for lack a nicer term, it's for beginners. I'm just being honest so don't hang the messenger.
If you really are an enthusiast, you'll get lots of good info here cause some of these guys are HT nuts
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

FYI, I ended up getting a really good set of bookshelve speakers since my preference was 2-channel stereo. DVDs really ain't my thang and I just like to listen to music and for my purposes, the speakers I got put any HTIB system or bookshelves in the price range to shame.
You just have to know what you're looking for and if you want a great looking HT system due to space constraints or not, you won't go wrong with the Sony 990s. If you're looking for great sounding HT, then there are probably better options and I'm sure you can get some good suggestions here. You only know how mediorce one system sounds when you are able to hear a better one right next to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks