Opinions on some blind purchases.

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Sean D., Feb 19, 2006.

1. Sean D.

Sean D. Agent

Here are a couple of tv shows on dvd I have been thinking about getting but have never seen.

3rd rock from the sun
    Freaks and Geeks
    The A-Team

I have heard good things about these shows and would like a couple of opinions on whether or not I should buy them.

thanks in advance.

2. Daniel-M

Daniel-M Second Unit

You have never seen A-Team. It's only the greatest guyshow ever

3. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

I have collected all three shows. 3rd Rock is your typical disfunctional family sitcom, with an alien twist. Sort of a cross between Married With Children and Mork & Mindy. Season One, unfortunately, features the slightly-edited syndication episodes.

The A-Team is a great example of the excess of the 1980's. It's totally over-the-top with its action and stunt work. It's full of "cartoon" violence: the type where machine guns and grenades never really kill anyone, but sure create mayhem and destruction. Great brain-dead entertainment. The story revolves around a team of Vietnam vets who are jailed on false charges. They escape and go "underground" known as "The A-Team"; on the run from the military. When special needs arise, they are available for hire, if they can be found.

Freaks and Geeks is the only one I could honestly recommend as a worthy blind-buy. The story is set at a Michigan high school in the early 80s. It's dead-on accurate with its portrayal of high school life. It covers all the standard characters: the nerds, the jocks, the burnouts, the sluts, the goody-goodies, etc. The parents and teachers are uncomfortably familiar, too. It's very funny, but not in a laugh-out-loud way. The humor comes, mostly, from very awkward and embarrassing teenage moments: the ones everyone can relate to, but would rather forget. The soundtrack features some of the best classic rock tunes of the era. If you enjoyed The Wonder Years or the movies 16 Candles and The Breakfast Club, you'll love this show.

Of all my favorite shows, Freaks and Geeks remains the one I am most sorry to have ended before its time. It's also, thankfully, the best-produced DVD set available for a TV show -- especially one that was canceled during its first season. The DVD set was produced for, and by, people who truly cherish this gem of a show. Highly recommended.[​IMG]

4. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

After posting, I also wondered how you could not have seen any of these shows before. Out of curiosity, I checked your profile. Sean, you are only 14 years old? If so, then I'd definitely recommend F&G, since it is about kids your age. The show takes place at a time when those kids were exactly my age. The show remains timeless, however, since the issues they face never change.

On the other hand, as Daniel mentioned, The A-Team is a great "guy" show, in the traditional sense. [​IMG]

5. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

I'd recommend getting Freaks and Geeks, then 3rd Rock from the Sun, and then A-Team. I like them all, but that is the order I would choose to get them in.

6. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I, too, would recommend Freaks and Geeks as a blind buy. The other two I would suggest you rent them and see. They have more of a cult appeal than Freaks and Geeks.

7. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

If you like Freaks and geeks you like pain, because that's what it is. It was very frank and realistic in its portrayal of teen angst and pain, that's why it was cancelled. Because people realllllly do not want to re-live the hell that was high school, or adolescence. If they want to see a high school show at all, it has to have a fantasy element like 90210 did.

3rd Rock is my favorite sitcom of the 90s, and generally the only one I even bothered to watch for a long time.

8. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

I'll take the pain of F&G over the diarrhea-inducing torture that is 90210 anyday!

One of the aspects that made F&G so believable is the fact that actors were actually high-school aged; not a bunch of twenty- or thirty-somethings, like the cast of 90210. Talk about fantasy!

9. Don Giro

Don Giro Supporting Actor

Don

Actually, it got cancelled because it kept getting shuffled around NBC's broadcast schedule and kept getting slammed by "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?" F&G had a trace amount of angst and pain, but the comedy is there in spades. I think it's probably the most unfairly cancelled television show of all time.

10. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    3rd Rock is outrageously fantastic. Jane Curtain is a comedic goddess and vastly underrated.