What's new

Opinions on SF Book Club (1 Viewer)

EdHoch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ed Hochstatter
As a Star Wars fan who has fallen behind on the New Jedi Order books, I was considering joining the "Science Fiction Book Club" to catch up in one fell swoop.

My assumption here is that this is like a Columbia House or BMG music club, but its for Science Fiction books.

Has anyone joined this club? What was your experience like?
How much do they charge for shipping and handling for each book? 5 books for a $1, then buy 4 more at "regular club rates" How much per book did you find that working out to be?

The advertisement card I pulled from a magazine is vague on the details...

I used both BMG and Columbia house to kick start my CD collection back in the day...seemed to work out okay.

Wanted to hear your success/horror stories before I signed up.

Thanks

Sarah S

Second Unit
I have used them in the past, mainly for the compilations.

They are amazingly similar to CH. Haven't joined in a while so I coudn't tell you about shipping, etc. They do have a website, you might be able to find more info out there.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
I've been a member of the club (www.SFBC.com if you hadn't checked) for about 30 years , so I'm fairly satisfied with them. My last order with shipping charges (occasional deals with free shipping or half-priced books have been showing up lately) was $6.68 for the shipping and handling portion. Book prices are generally better than Amazon or B&N but they aren't going to have everything (no Xanth by Piers Anthony for instance) and the book sizes may be a little different than the book stores carry at times (they fit my shelves better than a lot of regular publishers editions).

Since I read a lot I've never had a problem with the annual minimum purchases (I don't even know what it is off hand). They give you plenty of time to refuse monthly selections. This is their 50th anniversary and they have been reprinting a lot of older selections that have been out of print if that interests you. Only once or twice have they billed me for something that didn't arrive (lost in shipping) and they corrected the problem quickly with no fuss. I think maybe once in 30 years they sent something I didn't want (refusal lost in mail ?) but with the internet access I don't think that will ever happen again. The prices on the public part of their website are pretty typical of the member's prices.

But like any of these clubs you want to make sure that they have the kind of books you want to read. If you want to get in ; get only certain books ; and get out . then you could have problems with the minimum purchase requirements since the best deals don't usually apply towards the minimums.

Brian E

Screenwriter
I've been a member 6 or 7 times over the years. Just be aware that many of thier books are specially printed for them and are a smaller size format than standard hardcovers. They are very easy to deal with, especially since you can reply, order, pay & cancel online. You can check their website for details http://www.sfbc.com

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
There is a Canadian SFBC, although that doesn't help you Yee. :)

I've bought many fantasy art books from the SFBC. I highly recommend the Spectrum collection of fantasy/speculative art. Luis Royo and Jim Burns collections are good too. And, if you ever see it in the flyers, you MUST get the Art of Michael Whelan book...it is superb!

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
Was a member with them but gave it up when I kept getting sent the default selections even though I was sending the card back either the day I received it or the day after.

That is about the only annoying thing, at least for me, that I have to tell them "no, I dont want them" as opposed to me saying "yes, please send them."

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Fortunately you can decline selections online now. I hate mailing the replies in...it's actually cheaper to call them long distance than send the damn card in with postage!

EdHoch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ed Hochstatter
Thanks. I've gone ahead and signed up. Seems like a pretty good deal, and I read enough to buy 4 books over the next 2 years, no problem...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks