Opinions on 'Rust Never Sleeps' DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay Gregory, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Jay Gregory

Jay Gregory Stunt Coordinator

While the recent DVD release of the Neil Young and Crazy Horse concert movie Rust Never Sleeps is a terrific package, I'm wondering what others think of the quality of the feature itself.
    Admittedly, I haven't seen the movie in years and I've only previously seen it either televised or on VHS. But I was a little disappointed in the picture quality. It's a letterboxed non-16x9 presentation. However, the feature may be framed at an AR narrower than 16x9 so I'm not concerned about that. The picture itself is very grainy, but then again I don't remember it looking any better on any previous incarnation. Any wide shots that encompass the whole stage are a blurry mess, though. This movie certainly isn't The Last Waltz, but for all I know it may have been shot on 16MM.
    However, I was expecting the sound to be a little more overwhelming. My old school Sony doesn't output a DTS signal so I can only access the DD 5.1 and 2.0 tracks. While the sound is certainly fuller than my ancient 'Live Rust' CD, I don't know that it sounds any clearer or more vibrant. Mostly I hear extra echo. The credits suggest that the feature was remastered with care, but I was expecting a little bit more.
    Despite these misgivings, the entire package is pretty nice and I'm glad to finally own it on DVD. I'm wondering what others think (while I suppose that it may not be a priority title for most since we've been faced with so many comprehensive disks lately.)

2. TomJD

TomJD Agent

I'm a big Neil Young fan and will be picking this up very soon.I went to the premier theatrical run of this film at NYC's The Palladium way back when it was first released.Neil Young purposely gave this film a grainy unpolished look.Like his albums and CD's(a format which he despises) he has a very raw sound and isn't into a lot of production.Some of his live CD's sound just like bootlegs.I had the laserdisc of Rust Never Sleeps and it was quite good.This was all before Dolby Digital/DTS though and can't wait to experience this DVD in DTS.I was also lucky enough to catch Neil & Crazy Horse on this tour at Madison Square Garden and still remember it fondly.An amazing show.Rolling Stone picked this tour as one of the top 10 ever.I hope a release of Weld follows soon because it is my favorite Neil Young concert video(and live album).Neil and The Horse had found that fantastic Ragged Glory sound which they still have today.The LD of Weld had a much superior sound than that of Rust LD.I also admire Neil's direction of his concert videos.There are no constant cuts and annoying editing to distract you.You just get a great view of some passionate and truly talented musicians.

3. Steve jc

Steve jc Agent

Although I've owned the VHS version of "Rust Never Sleeps" for many,many years, I ordered the dvd blind, not knowing any specifics on aspect ratio or audio options. I was a little disappointed the widescreen image wasn't anamorphic, but the DTS option made up for it.
    I saw the Crazy Horse "Weld" tour(Civic Arena, Pittsburgh)which recycled the oversized stage set used for the "Rust" tour but never saw the video presentation. Also caught the solo "Harvest Moon" tour and another mid 90's outing with Booker T and the MG's as backup.
    If you're a Neil Young fan, I'd suggest the Red Rocks Live DVD, anamorphic widescreen, DTS, and one incredible show from 2000.
    Neil seems pretty hip to new technologies, I recall back in the early days of CDs he was one of the first artists I noticed that did a true digital recording from studio to master to media. Always admired his willingness to embrace something new.

4. Michael St. Clair

5. Matt Everett

Matt Everett Stunt Coordinator

I think for a brief time Neil like the sound of CD's but later felt that the sampling rate was too low and the high-frequency transients weren't good. "Freedom" was an all-digital recording in 1988.

Maybe DVD-Audio will inspire him to release his mega-box-set he's been talking about for about ten years now.