What's new

Opinions on Rotel RSX-965 wanted (1 Viewer)

Carl R

Grip
Hi there!
I have an offer on a Rotel RSX-965 receiver and I am very much interested in it. It is a discontinued model but the specs are enough for my needs and it is a brand new unit. I would like to hear some opinions from those of you who may own or have experience of this receiver.
Btw, I know that the current RSX-972 is a bigger and better receiver but it would cost me almost twice as much, so it is not an option.
Regards,
Carl

I own this receiver and use it to drive Def Tech speakers - 2xBP2002, 1xCLR2002, 2xBP1X. I produces great sound but has a few quirks. When switching to stereo mode it will occasionally continue to drive the center speaker. Cycling power with the remote always cures this. The other, much rarer (less that once in 15-20 movie viewings), quirk is that it will lose audio in DD/DTS mode. Pausing the movie momentarily cures this. I am not certain that this is the fault of the Rotel, I am using a Sony 550 DVD player and it is known to have lip sync problems, this may be a side effect of that problem. I previously drove this setup with a Yamaha 992. The Rotel souns MUCH better. Enjoy!

Sam Hatch

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in love with my RSX-965. I got it two summers ago and have been very happy with it. The sound is superb.
I haven't had any of the abovementioned quirks occur, but I have heard reports of various other eccentricities. The one I have is a real workhorse - I put the thing through alot of daily use. And there's still three years to go on the warranty.
I suppose the only negative I have to say is that DTS mode offers limited bass management options. Though I think they were occasionally upgrading some of its managing abilties as time went by. Check and see what that unit has, but mine only allows 'Large' settings for all speakers in DTS. My dealer said that it wasn't Rotel's fault though, since this was the only option made available to them at the time. Apparently DTS decided to tell us what speakers we should own in order to listen to their soundtracks!
Of course if you have some nice BP2002s like Bruce, this shouldn't be much of a problem! :)
If you've got a good price on it then go for it!
------------------
"Negative. I am a meat popsicle."

Andre Perusse

Auditioning
The 965 is an excellent receiver, provided you get a working unit. If possible, ask to try it out with your own equipment for a few days before buying. I went through 4 of these units before I finally said "enough" and upgraded to Rotel separates (an RSP-976 and RMB-1095 which, by the way, are absolutely flawless).
Based on my research (nothing official though), Rotel had severe quality control issues with the 965 (which, as I understand, was not totally Rotel's fault). The newer 972 is a vast improvement, however, so they appear to have fixed whatever was wrong in the manufacturing process.
Things to watch out for are:
1. Ensure the 965 properly picks up the signal from your DVD player. One of the units I had wouldn't pick up the DD or DTS signal from my Tosh 3109 - I'd have to keep switching inputs on the 965 until it recognized the signal. However, this 965 had no problem with a newer Sony player.
2. Ensure all channels give a clear, clean signal. Two of my 965s had bad channels. One had a very low output level on the front right channel, the other had very bad distortion on the left rear.
3. Ensure the subwoofer line out is free of distortion. The first 965 I had would generate a signal on the subwoofer line-out even when the unit was off (standby)! It sounded like a plane was about to crash into my house.
4. Try to get a unit manufactured after June 2000. I believe these units have better software including improved bass management.
Good luck!
Cheers,
Andre

Carl R

Grip
Thanks for your valuable info. I have also checked audioreview.com for other opinions although I don't always find those reviewers very reliable or nuanced. It's either "fantastic" or "it sucks totally" there. Furthermore, the ones who are dissatisfied are more likely to share their disappointment than the ones who are satisfied I believe. There are apparently several problems reported but checking reviews for other receivers one will find problem reports for almost every model and brand.
Most problems seem to have been with early production units so I will check when this one was made. It will arrive at the dealer this week.
I am going to use it with a pair of Dynaudio Audience speakers for fronts and a pair of old Dalis as surrounds. Will have to buy the Dynaudio center as well to complete the setup. I will add a sub later if I (and the neighbours) feel the need for it.
Regards,
Carl

Users who are viewing this thread