Opinions on Rotel RSX-1065 receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Forsythe, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Lee Forsythe

Lee Forsythe Extra

Hello everyone-I've been researching receivers to replace my Onkyo TXDS595.I want to go up in class.I have looked at all the usual suspects[​IMG]enon,Yamaha,Integra,Upper level Onkyos and last week I auditioned an NAD in store.Yesterday I found a dealer in my area that carries Rotel.This piece rocks.Not a lot of bells and whistles but it sounds awesome!100 watts per channel(all channels driven).It's 7.1 capable but needs an additional 2 channel amp to power the extra speakers.This is a drawback for some but I am planning on sticking with 5.1 as long as I am living in my current home.Sounds excellent with music!Priced at 1999.00 but the dealer said he would work a cash deal for me.I've pretty much decided on this unit but would love any opinions(pro or con)from anyone. Thanks-LEE

2. HowardGjr

HowardGjr Stunt Coordinator

Lee,
    If you like the RSX-1065, you might want to consider going the separates route. You can probably pick up the RSP-1066 and RMB-1075 (5 channel amp) for somewhere south of $2200 depending on your dealer. The list price for these two items is $2500. This may provide you some sonic benefits and will get you an additional 20 Watts per channel. With this approach, you would lose the tuner in the 1065. This is the approach that I went with and I'm pretty happy.
    If you like receivers and can live with 75 Watts per channel, the RSX-1055 will retails for $1300. Because it is soncially very close to the RSP-1066, a number of people have been using this as a pre/pro. In this configuration, you could use the RSX to power your center and surround speakers and have up to $700 to spend on a two channel amplifier for your mains. (RB-1070 is 699 (130W x 2).
    With either of these approaches, if your interested in HDTV switching, make sure you get a newer model. The new models sport higher video bandwidths.
    Both the 1066 and 1055 have some issues with Bass Management. I'm not sure if this also applies to the RSX-1065.
    For more information on Rotel receivers, amps and pre/pro, check out their website.
    Rotel Web Page
    Here is another forum that specifically addresses issues related to Rotel gear.
    Club Rotel
    Good luck on your selection.

3. Lee Forsythe

Lee Forsythe Extra

Howard-thanks for your input.I've checked out Rotel's website.I'll take a look at clubrotel.I'm considering the separates approach also.I appreciate your reply.By the way,where are you from in PA? I lived in PA. for 30 years before moving to Tennesee. --LEE

4. HowardGjr

HowardGjr Stunt Coordinator

Lee,

I've lived in Bucks County for my whole life. I was raised in Warminster and I live in Doylestown now.

Take care.
    Howard