What's new

Opinions on RCA's SCENIUM DLP sets. (1 Viewer)

Joseph Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
I saw the HDLP61W151 61" DLP set at Best Buy last week, and I must say that it was a very nice looking set. Arguably one of the best sets among the big screen sets they had on display. Comparing it to the Samsung 50" I'd say they were about neck and neck. My wife and I are interested in a new set, but I'm interested to know if there's any downside to the RCA or DLP in general. My previous current television is a 32" Sony WEGA that we purchased back in 1998, but it really seems small now, especially since the majority of our use is watching widescreen movies where we lose a lot of real estate. Other than that we just play video games. The kids will get the WEGA when we get a new set and the 20" they're currently using the family room will go somewhere, probably my office.

So, is there a downside to the RCA SCENIUM DLP sets or DLP in general? I know there's the issue of bulb replacement, which I'd like to know more about. But other than that I'm fairly ignorant. The local Best Buy price for the 61" was $3999, which isn't bad compared to Samsung's price on their 50" DLP.

Thanks in Advance, and Merry Christmas!

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
This is a set that I have been interested in since I saw TV Authority have it up for sale several months ago. With having a built in Integrated ATSC Tuner with QAM, ability to hook up to your PC to view pictures from the hard drive and a light engine by Infocus I think it is a great value and I am going to go to my local Best Buy to check out to see if they have one.

I know of a lot of people that have been waiting for this unit to get out on the market place so they can check it out.

With the same sized Samsung costing about $1,500 more and having less features it makes the RCA look even more attractive.

Parker

Joseph Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Parker. After buying the WEGA in 98 I'm a little gunshy. I was basically lied to by the salesman on the features, and I didn't get everything I wanted. The salesman told me that since it had component inputs it was an HD capable set, which is obviously a lie. Maybe he didn't know any better either, but I've learned that it's on me to do the research and verify everything.

You've pretty much confirmed what I thought comparing it to the Samsung DLP sets, and I think the RCA set will look great in my living room! :D

Merry Christmas!

Christopher a

Stunt Coordinator
To answer your question:

Poor black levels
Overbloated and unnatural colors
Overbloated contrast
Poor greyscale
Bulb replacement
Rainbows
On the Samsung sets, you will see a yellowish digital blob show up in mnay of the dark scenes (nothing to do with greyscale).

Upsides:

Convergence never drifts
Replacing a bulb ain't that bad
Great resolution on HD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks