What's new

Opinions on Proscan PS38000 38" direct view HDTV please. (1 Viewer)

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
I've been watching a ton of DVDs and LDs lately, so I'm ready to make the plunge into HD. I'm trying to find a Proscan PS38000 to check out in person. I was previously considering the 34" 16:9 models from Sony, Panasonic, and Toshiba, but 34" really isn't big enough when it comes to widescreen TVs. I think 38" might just fit the bill. I know it's an older model and it doesn't have a flat tube, but after my experiences with my Wega, I'm not so sure that technology is quite ready for prime time anyway.
I'm not really interested in a projection set because I do a lot of gaming, and in the coming years consoles will surely start supporting HD resolutions and aspect ratios even moreso than they do now, so a tube-based set is best for me I think. I'm the type who'll play an RPG for eight hours straight, so there's too much of a risk of burn-in.
Are any other manufacturers planning on releasing tube-based 16:9 HDTVs larger than 34"? I'll probably be purchasing a set within the next three or four months, but I can hold out if something better is coming along.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Loewe is already offering a 38-inch, 16:9 direct-view model. Consider that one instead. The Proscan (that marque has been dropped, btw) scares me, as does its "RCA" stablemate. I've heard bad stories about the weak power supplies in these sets. One store near me reports that it has had to service every set it has sold. I know your heart's pounding when you think about that set, but there's much better stuff out there.

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the advice. Any idea where I can find stateside pricing and information on the Loewe set? All I could find was the German site.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Jay, I know that the good guys! stocks the Loewe models, so you might check that outfit's Website (sorry, no link). If there is no good guys! store in your area, you could always order one.

The magazines often rate Loewe very highly, and its TVs are very attractively styled. Every one I have seen puts out a beautiful image.

If you don't mind a 4:3 native display, the huge Sony KV-40XBR700 offers a 16:9 compression mode that yields a total image size of 36 inches. The reason I bring this set up is because it is widely available, and deals are out there.

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
After my bad experience with a 32" Wega, I'm not too keen on trying the 40" behemoth. I'm probably going to take my current 4:3 Wega and put it in a separate room with a HTIB setup for gaming purposes, which would mean the majority of my time with the new TV would be spent watching DVDs, LDs, and HTDV. A 16:9 set would be best I think.

Now that I think about it, the place where I bought my speakers had a Loewe TV in one of their showrooms. I'll check with them.

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
The Good Guys web site has it listed for $5500. From what I can tell, no built-in HD tuner at that price.

Ouch.

No way to order it online either. It has to be purchased in a store, and their store locator isn't working properly (it keeps telling me that my zip code is invalid). Hopefully my guy can get me one for a little less.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks