What's new

Opinions on possible upgrades? (1 Viewer)

BlakeBr

Auditioning
Hey guys & gals,

I am just getting back into the home theater game after being out of it for awhile, and am looking to make a few upgrades, with a small bugdet (will probably buy refurb or used)... my modest setup on the audio end is a relatively old now denon avr 3200, energy take 5 speaker setup with an energy es-8 sub.

As I said, I haven't been around the scene for awhile, but last time I was the norh 4.0 speakers were all the rage, and I am seriously thinking about getting those for about 500 off a fellow forum member. Any opinions?

Also, I am thinking of eventually either
a) getting a newer refurb. denon from ecost.com
or
b) slowly replacing my reciever with seperates, starting with some amps (are norh's LeAmps still considered good for the money?) and eventually a pre-amp or reciever to act as a pre-amp/processor?

The sub will eventually be upgraded with an SVS, but right now that isn't a huge problem as it is off alot of the time anyways, being in an apartment.

Thanks for the help!

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Well - I think you need to specify a budget then more ppl will be able to respond w/ appropriate answers.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Get a much better set of stereo speakers. That's step one in my books. The electronics can follow.

BlakeBr

Auditioning
I am trying to decide if I should go for the set of 5 norh 4.0's or not and if they would be a upgrade from my current engergy take5 system... They are used almost exclusively for HT, and I could snatch them up hopefully for about 500 dollars, or should I think about upgrading my denon reciever (love it, but lacks DTS, is only 5.1, and does not have any component video switching, etc). My current budget could go up to around 1,500 dollars more or less, and if the whole setup is more than that I could purchase a pair of stereo speakers now and keep the energy's for the surrounds and center until I had the money to upgrade the rest. So my burning question now is how do norh's speakers and le-amps stack up to the competition these days? Are my dollars better spent elsewhere?

Keep in mind I am filling a smallish 16'x16;' sized apartment living room, but probably moving it into a much bigger living room within the upcoming year.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks