Opinions on Polk or Klipsch speakers?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mikey_L, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Mikey_L

Mikey_L Auditioning

I was just curious if some of yous-guys out there have anything positive/negative to say about either Polk or Klipsch speakers? I am contemplating one of these brands to replace my current speaker setup. Right now, I have a sort-of mix-and-match 5.1 speaker setup with some low-end Pioneer and generic speakers and a 5 yr old Polk sub.

Budget-wise, I want to buy good-sounding speakers, but of course, the less I spend, the better. I would say about $700 is the most that I can spare for the moment, at least until I win the lottery... Anyhoo, any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

2. Ron Temple

Ron Temple Stunt Coordinator

The Polk 104 package is a pretty good deal, M40s,30s,CS1 and a Polk sub(sell this) for $700 at Frys and if you buy it on sale they usually throw in a Sony or Onkyo receiver. The Polk Rs for bang for the buck are very hard to beat from Frys. For ~ $250-300 you can get R50s,15s,CS1 or CSi25.
    Spend the rest on a nice sub.

If you like Klipsch, then you should probably check out the Bic Acoustech package, it's gotten great reviews and includes the H-100 sub for ~ $800. Very similar design (clone), but there a many fans over on Audioholics.

3. Mikey_L

Mikey_L Auditioning

Thanks for the quick response! I will take a look at both of those packages.