Opinions on PMC TB2 monitor speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ferran Mazzanti, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Ferran Mazzanti

Ferran Mazzanti Stunt Coordinator

Hi everybody,
    just wanted to say that in the end, I broke my safe and bought a couple of new front speakers for my music/HT system. These are the PMC TB2 which really sounded astonishing at the store. I brought them at home last saturday and have used them for three or four hours per day with my Marantz SR6200 receiver. I must say that I like very much the music they produce, but still find differences with what I heard in the shop. So that's what i wanted to ask to other TB2 users around... how do they sound to you? How long does it take for them to run in at their best? The guy at the shop told me I should wait at least for 20 hours for them to reach their best performance, and it is true that after a couple of hours you could really hear how they improved, so I guess they will improve even more. What is your experience?
    Cheers,
    Ferran.

2. Ferran Mazzanti

Nobody wants to say anything [​IMG] ?

3. Brian tj

Brian tj Stunt Coordinator

Hi Ferran
    Welcome to the wold of audio!![​IMG] You could have spent $$$$$ and still not sound good at home. Look at the room layout, furniture, windows, glass tables, and such things.
    Start with inexpensive things in searching for good sound. Rugs, drapes, table cloths, the room is very important. Do you have good not crazy speaker cables? Speaker layout, seating, very important. I am one year at this game and still learning [​IMG] Good luck and keep [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Ferran Mazzanti

Hi Brian,
    thanks for the advice... you know, it can be frustrating when you spend your bucks in good equipment but you don't get it to work at its best... even worse if you know it can sound as if you were in heaven! I will play with all this. For exemple speaker positioning. You know, I can play a little bit with these things, but not really much: I can not move my speakers very far away from their actual position. I can consider playing with rugs etc.. Does this really make a big difference? Have you really noticed a big improvement?
    Speaker cables are as you say good but not crazy... but they are good...

5. TeddM

TeddM Agent

I had TB1s which are very similar to the replacement TB2s. My current setup is four FB1s and a TB1C which I decided to go with after hearing a 7.1 setup of TB2s/TB1s. The previous receiver was a Carver C1000-A and it sounded excellent.

I think you'll find they will loosen up and get very musical. The other problem might be if they are shoved into the wall as they have a rear located transmission line port. One the reasons I went FB1s (plus no need for stands).