What's new

Opinions on Out;law amps (1 Viewer)

Steve Simm

Stunt Coordinator
I am considering adding a separate amp to my Yamaha DSP-A1. At some point in the future I will replace it with an as yet to be determined processor. I am interested in any real world experience that any of you may have with the Outlaw amps, in particular the 770. If you own this amp or have had the opportunity to listen to it and compare it with other amps I would be especially interested in your opinion. How does it compare to other more expensive amps, etc. Thanks in advance for any comments.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I have the 770. And it’s been great. I did not put as much demo time into my amp purchase because early on, I was going for digital then backed off for awhile. Some of the new crop of digital or hybrids are getting reviews which would warrant me giving them a try but I wanted to wait, till they had been out a little longer and had more competition in a multi-channel configuration. I put a lot of time into the purchase choice of my 950, so I went with its match (770) assuming I’d get sturdy, good clean power.

It’s preformed flawlessly. And it was an additional benefit when I was shopping recently for a speaker upgrade, that with the 770 I already had a high-current amp. (This would have locked me out of many speaker choices without upgrading the amp also). I also found it a major plus that when I brought the speakers home, the 770 was a much/much better match for them than the flagship Pioneer Elite receiver and the B&K sep amp(model unnoted) that were pushing them in different demo rooms.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Steve has made a case for this thread being reopened for business. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Steve Simm

Stunt Coordinator
Mary and Jed- thanks for your feedback. It sounds like you are both happy with the 770. It is really hard to decide which way to go with so many choices out there.

Walt N

Second Unit
Nice review there, Jed. Interesting that the reviewer for Secrets Of HT&HF mentions a "slight reticence in the upper mids" when the FR graph shows a ruler flat line. In any case though, it sounds as if he really liked the amp.

Steve, I have one of the first run Outlaw Model 750 amps and it's been very reliable and has never run out of steam. I haven't performed any blind or sighted A/B swap tests with it against anything else, but it certainly sounds as good as anything else I've heard in casual comparisons. Compared to my older model, the newer 755 and 770's have 10 bipolar op-amps per channel vs. 6, so assuming they're using the same devices the newer models should be capable of handling even more difficult loads. IMO even the old design was overkill for most applications so for this reason and others, I don't think you can go wrong with this beast.

BrianChim

Agent
Mary MS: What did you like about the Outlaw amp vs the B&K? Do you remember which B&K were shown?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks