Opinions on my website

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Joe Spratley, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Joe Spratley

Joe Spratley Stunt Coordinator

I was hoping some of the members here could give me an opinion on my website. I am working on it for my business which sells gas monitors. This is the first website I have ever done and is still a work in progress. I am mostly looking for opinions on the general format and layout since I haven't completed or edited some of the verbiage. Administrators if this violates any rules please delete my post. The address is www.jjstech.com

2. Tom Meyer

Tom Meyer Second Unit

grammar police arrives (sorry, couldn't resist)...

should/could be:

When your monitoring needs
    require remote sampling, the Gas
    Alert Max fits the bill. Small and
    compact with a revolutionary
    plug-in pump design that can be installed as easily as a sensor, repairs can be done effortlessly in the field rather than sending it to the factory for 4-6 weeks like other competing models.
    The Gas Alert Max also uses
    standard Black and Decker
    Versa Pack batteries that can be
    easily purchased locally.

otherwise, the layout is fine, I guess.

3. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Not bad, Joe. I do see some spelling / grammar mistakes that you might want to correct:

is not a complete sentence. And "plug in" should be "plug-in".

This is just stuff I noticed on the main page; I didn't dig beyond that.

Good luck!

Jon

4. Joe Spratley

Tom and Jon,
    I really appreciate your feedback, those are all good points and I will change them to be grammatically correct. I have been so involved in the layout, logos etc. that I haven't given too much attention to the wording.

5. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

Joe,

Commenting strictly on the layout and general presentation...

definitely not bad for your first website, good job. [​IMG]

Just a few suggestions:

* Concerning the navigation, decide wether you want to go with the horizontal or vertical nav bars. There's really no reason to repeat the home, products, services, company info and contact links in both places. I understand that you probably are just providing the user multiple options to navigate the site but most of the time it just confuses people on which links they should use.
    Maybe go with the top horizontal nav bar and then the additional links ( faq, news, tech info, etc.) would be sub-navigation links or you could incorporate them into the main page with the content.

* Have the links that go to the discussion forum and the technical PDF open up in new windows. That way the original site is not gone and users can get back to where they started from without using the browser's "back" button.

* Add some color to the body tag this will change the page background color and help focus visitor's attention toward the main content area, which I would leave with the white background.

Keep in mind these are only my humble opinions but I have found over the last 5 years of building web sites/apps that the above guidelines help produce clean and effective web pages.

Good luck,
    Brian

6. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

I agree with Brian for the most part. It looks like you went with the standard 3 column layout, with the focus of your page being the center column. As Brian said, change the background of the left and right columns and leave the center column white. This will help focus people on the center which is where your products are. Remove the duplicate buttons/links. The buttons themselves are a little run-of-the-mill and I don't like the blocky font used on them. Also, some of your graphics need to be smoothed out as the edges are kind of squared off (your NEW and WATER RESISTANT graphics particulary). On the products.html and fixedsystems.html pages the font size is WAY too big.

I think this is a pretty good job for a first try. I was expecting something terrible, but you did a nice job. Make sure to get to all of the spelling and grammar mistakes mentioned above, and there are a few others too.

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

very nice for a first try.

i agree that you don't need the dup nav buttons. choose one or the other. the big buttons make for easier nav (since they're hard to miss), but the nav bar at the top provides for a cleaner looking page.

also, i would make your phone number (at the top) easier to see. it's almost a "byproduct" up there.

nice use of graphics.

8. Joe Spratley

Thanks for the compliments and tips everyone. I agree with everything that was said. I built the site with Yahoo Sitebuilder which has some limitations. I wanted to make the 1st and 3rd columns have a background color but the software won't allow it if there is a picture in the cell (text is ok). I also don't care for the left navigation menu but the selection was pretty limited. I smoothed out the edges of the graphics and changed some of the grammar and spelling mistakes. There's a number of things that I wanted to do but the software won't let me so I'm going to start doing the site over again in FrontPage. I wanted to get this one up though so that I can start driving traffic to it and then I can take my time and work on the FrontPage version behind the scenes.

9. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

Sounds like a smart move. Those free web editors are OK for beginners, but if you want to do anything custom you'll need something more substantial.

Good luck!

10. Dean Martin

Dean Martin Stunt Coordinator

Nice! It's clean and simple which is always very good. Frontpage is pretty easy for beginners and has gotten much better. Just make sure your host has frontpage server extensions so you can take advantage of all the features and not run into problems.
    Frontpage will also show you grammatical errors and make that part of it easier. If you are confortable designing the pages using cells (tables) like you did here then Frontpage will be a snap.
    Also when you use frontpage, use the shared borders option so you don't have to make changes to every single page and the entire page does not have to reload for every page load.

11. Joe Spratley

Thanks Dean, I'm going to add more to it. I wanted to get it up and running and then I started a Google adword campaign to see what would happen, and I've actually got several orders so far. I'm going to start redoing it in Frontpage soon. Also wanted to say thanks for responding to my post over at avsforum on the x1, ps2, and VGA box. I like your solution to it. The separate 480i and 480p inputs gets frustrating after awhile.