Opinions on my speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PaulBoud, Mar 21, 2002.

1. PaulBoud

PaulBoud Agent

I'm just getting into constructing a HT. No receiver yet but I do own 3 pairs of speakers and I would like to utilize them to help keep the cost down on my setup. OK, here's what I have. Opinions welcome.

What I consider the best sounding set is a pair of small Phase Tech speakers I bought around 1985 or 86. I've compared them to the other speakers below and they sound the best too my non audiophile ears. The only problem I have is that when I play music loud through them the Bass causes the subwoofer to hit the speaker case. This doesn't happen often since I'm old now and don't play my Ramones on full volume as much anymore.

The second set is a pair of Cambridge Sound Works Ensemble II speakers that I bought with the idea of replacing the Phase Techs. Sounds pretty good but like I said not as good as the PT's. Also seemed quieter for the same volume level when I had both hooked up to my old NAD receiver.

Next is a pair of Bose something or others that were my dad's. Two small (5'x5') units that can mount to the wall and a seperate subwoofer.

I have no center speaker except the one on the TV. (Philips 55PP9701). Any opinions on how you would work this group of speakers into a home theater without getting me divorced. hehe.

2. Pat K

Pat K Stunt Coordinator

Ok... i dont know what you mean by the subwoofers hitting the case, but im assuming theres a larger woofer in the speaker, that has too much excursion. You could probably put an inline crossover on these, to lessen the bass, and let the subwoofer handle that.

3. Jerry Wright

Jerry Wright Agent

Wow Paul, I bet you'll need some help lifting and mounting those 5 foot X 5 foot Bose speakers to your wall. [​IMG]

4. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale

5. PaulBoud

PaulBoud Agent

Oh my, a very Spinal Tap Moment there, hehe. Forgive me, I'm working the night shift this week. (I feel like trodding upon Stonehenge) As far as the Phase Tech Bass problem goes, they're some kind of solid cone design, that was supposed to be pretty advance back then. When the cone really jumps you hear a banging sound from the speaker. So I guess my question was what speakers would you put where and as far as a center channel speaker, how important is it to get it as a matched set with the fronts? These speakers where all originally bought exclusively for music. Are there any issues there?