What's new

Opinions on Must have DVD. (1 Viewer)

wayne-sun

Agent
I am buying a new RPTV (Toshiba 50H82) and a progressive scan DVD player. Waht is a must have disk. I really want to blow the shorts off a couple of buddies with this set and am wondering what the first show should be.

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator
Here is a link to a thread with some already mentioned:
Demo Discs
My personal favorites are:
Thin Red Line (DTS)
U-571
Black Hawk Down
The Fellowship of the Ring
Blade (club scene gets them every time!!) :)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What kind of movies do you like? If don't mind revisionist filmmaking, try "APOCALYPSE NOW REDUX". The transfer is excellent, at least IMO. Whether the added footage adds anything to the actual film is debatable but the picture detail and color is really something to look at.

Another movie that has a really nice transfer, at least to my eye, is "AMELIE", however, if you are not into subtitled romantic, comedy/drama films, then don't bother.

"MOULIN ROUGE" is actually pretty good picture and sound wise as well. It takes some getting used to as far as the music used since it is supposed to take place in "Gay 90's" Paris but it is at least worth one watch. It is a musical though.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'll second "BLACK HAWK DOWN" as well. The movie is all action but not strong storywise. It probably could be considered a "definitive" war story from the point of view that it doesn't bother to try analyzing why we, as a species, seem to have a love affair with slaughter. It just shows the slaughter and how men will perform extraordinary acts in the face of death. A really nice transfer, although at the very beginning of the film the picture looked so grainy, that I thought it was artifacting. I was prepared for a really crappy picture and then it cleared up.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Last December, a fellow DVD enthusiast and I did some rather extensive polling of various DVD forums including this one and the results were proclaimed as the Greatest Top 100 DVD List ever! ;)
Anyhow, even if so much good stuff has come out since the new year, I still hope you find the resource resourceful.
http://www.angelfire.com/dc/top100dvd/

CamiloCamacho

Stunt Coordinator
A quicklist of my personal Demo DVD's, sort by genre (of course the classic list is not your typical 5.1 demo disc, but in the case of North By Northwest, it will show a HUGE improvement over the originals.) These movies will convert a lot old people or cinema art lovers.

Horror:

Nightmare on Elm Street Collection

Musical:

Moulin Rouge

Action:

Star Wars: Episode I
Lord of The Rings

Classic:

Citizen Kane
North By Northwest

Tom Oh

Second Unit
Hwen guests come over for the first time, I usually play snippets of the following:

MI:2 (Motorcycle scene only)
Matrix (Lobby shootout)
Ronin (Chase to die for)
Saving Private Ryan (Omaha Beach-not for everyone due to violence)
Gladiator (Chariot fight)
Relic and Daylight (from DTS Demo #3-sub testers)
Any Given Sunday (Beginning-shown for picture and for sports fans)
Fifth Element-SB (Lilu jumping & blue alien singing)

For the kids:
Toy Story 2 (Buzz opening-I am getting tired from watching too many times)
Tarzan (Beautiful picture)
Titan A.E.

I also like to show them David Copperfield's best magics on DVD. They all enjoy this.

wayne-sun

Agent
Thanks for all the opinions. I see quite a few that appear on most lists so I think this is where I'll start;

Black Hawk Down
Toy Story - UTB
Moulin Rouge

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks