Opinions on Motorola V.Series 60c?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Kim, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

I've been searching for a replacement for my current cell phone for awhile. Today, I ordered a Motorola V.Series 60c from Qwest.

I recall a previous thread(s) that discussed the merits of this phone, but I cannot find it.

Can anyone provide some insight on the usage of this phone and any other thoughts? For example, are there recommendations for essential accessories? Real-life/practical usage advice?

Although I don't abuse my cell phone, I am a heavy user - it's with me all of the time. Because of this, I was attracted to its all-aluminum housing. Additionally, I've read elsewhere that the remainder of the phone is constructed of carbon fiber. As in the exact same material used in Formula 1 monocoque! Sounds pretty durable.

Thanks for any opinions. BTW, I opted for the blue color - quite a departure for Motorola and my staid, all-black StarTAC.

2. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I've got a v60c and think its really cool. The battery life isn't very long, my previous phone could go an entire week, but this one is a few days shorter, but thats no biggie. The reception is great also. It doesn't have any little built in games, but does have a calender and address book. Overall I really like it.

3. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Thanks, Mike. It's good to hear - given the amount of money spent on this phone, I confess I wanted some validation.

I have absolutely no interest in ring tones or games - probably wouldn't even care to have these feature sets.

My main concern is reception / clarity. The durability of this phone sounds like it's taken care of by the aluminum and carbon fiber construction. Who am I kidding...I love the looks of this phone.

Did you get an extra battery for your phone? If so, which one? I'm a little confused by the battery options available for the 60c - does one dramatically provide longer life than another?

4. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I didn't get an extra battery but I did buy a car charger since I always seem to need to give it some charge when I'm on the road somewhere. I love it because its so small and stylin' [​IMG] It fits perfectly in my pocket yet when expanded is big enough to feel as though I'm talking on the phone. Have you seen the next models from motorola? Instead of a flip it rotates around a small center circle that is the lcd screen.
    http://commerce.motorola.com/consumer/QWhtml/v70.html
    The v60i will be out in april: http://commerce.motorola.com/consumer/QWhtml/v60i.html
    There is a bar in austin we always go to and one of the waitresses when she saw my phone was telling us about a friend of hers that works for motorola that has a prerelease of the rotating phone and he was in showing it off. She said it was really cool.

5. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Ah,...the v70. Might I say Mike, you've got damn good taste. I saw this a couple of weeks ago in a magazine and was wowed.
    Some more pics of Motorola's 'Sexy' new line-up
    Motorola's really brought themselves back from the dead. 4-5 years ago, they were getting buried by Nokia. The v70 and the A388 look outstanding. Only problem, and could be fatal here in US - these phones run only on GSM network - the least supported network in the US. Hopefully, Motorola will adapt them to CDMA / TDMA networks.
    Thanks for the advice on the car charger. Completely forgot about this one. This fits my needs far more than another battery.