Opinions on Mordaunt Shorts?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pamela, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

I am looking for a pair of modestly priced, small bookshelf speakers for a bedroom system (2 channel for now). One of the speakers I would like to audition is the Mordaunt Short 902. I cannot find much info on them and was wondering if anyone here has given them a listen? And what's the buzz on them? I'm having a hard time finding a dealer in the Los Angeles area. I can get them online for $350, including shipping.

Other speakers I'm looking at include Monitor Audio and the Polk RT25i (they've gotten some good press). I want to stay away from Paradigm because that's what my main system is, and I want to try something different.

Thanks!

2. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

I have MS-902 for rears, 906 mains, and 504 centre. Obviously, the 906's get the workout for 2-channel material, and I really enjoy the sound. As an experiment I placed the 902s up front and A/B'd them with the 906's. They sounded exactly the same except for lower bass extension, as one would expect.

The reviews on audioreview.com are definitely positive. If I were you I'd try to audition them with the same brand of amp/reciever you own, to make sure the combo sounds OK.

3. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

I would give the NHT's a listen. I am not sure what the model of there new bookshelves are but they sound great. I really like the NHT's, I would have bought a pair but I had to get the mini monitors. Also give psb and b&w a listen I really like the psb's also.

Nick L

4. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

i auditioned the 902's a couple of weeks ago and was impressed with its overall clarity. But when all was said and done, i went with the Paradigm Studio 20's since they offered clarity and bass to boot. The price difference wasn't much either, $568 for the 602's and $600 for the 20's (CAD).

5. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

Thanks for the replies.
    Chris-I thought about the 906's but my bedroom's seriously "space-challenged" at the moment. Too much computer stuff. And shoes.[​IMG] I will probably listen to both, if I can find a retailer near me.
    Nick-I will give NHT a listen. When I first began my HT addiction, I auditioned the SuperOnes and came very close to getting them. I have PSB on my list, as I have heard great things about them. I just need to find an LA area dealer.
    Salvador-I actually thought about getting the Studio 20s for my bedroom setup, but I am getting them to replace my MiniMonitors in the rear of my main setup. The 40s are my mains. Wanted to try a different sound. I have to agree, the 20s are a great speaker. I guess with the Mordaunt Shorts I'd be sacrificing some bass. I'm sure my downstairs neighbor wouldn't be too upset!

6. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

IMO, i think the Studio 20's are in a different league when compared with the mini monitors. When i auditioned the MM they sounded muddy and boomy in comparison to the 902's. But if you're looking for a different sound, then i think the 902's are a good choice. I i think the best choice would be the studio 20's.

7. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

The price difference between the Paradigm Ref and Mordaunt-Short is greater in the US. Canadian speakers cost a lot more in the US, while those from overseas are roughly the same in the US and Canada, when the exchange rate is taken into account.

I never directly compared the two bookshelfs, but as I said above, in the tower versions (Ref 60 vs. 906) I definitely prefered the 906. I and another reviewer go into more detail with this comparison on the audioreview.com site.

Good luck in your choice; I'd be interested in finding out what your eventual decision is.