What's new

Opinions on Mordaunt Shorts? (1 Viewer)

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I am looking for a pair of modestly priced, small bookshelf speakers for a bedroom system (2 channel for now). One of the speakers I would like to audition is the Mordaunt Short 902. I cannot find much info on them and was wondering if anyone here has given them a listen? And what's the buzz on them? I'm having a hard time finding a dealer in the Los Angeles area. I can get them online for $350, including shipping.

Other speakers I'm looking at include Monitor Audio and the Polk RT25i (they've gotten some good press). I want to stay away from Paradigm because that's what my main system is, and I want to try something different.

Thanks!

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
I have MS-902 for rears, 906 mains, and 504 centre. Obviously, the 906's get the workout for 2-channel material, and I really enjoy the sound. As an experiment I placed the 902s up front and A/B'd them with the 906's. They sounded exactly the same except for lower bass extension, as one would expect.

The reviews on audioreview.com are definitely positive. If I were you I'd try to audition them with the same brand of amp/reciever you own, to make sure the combo sounds OK.

Nick L

Second Unit
I would give the NHT's a listen. I am not sure what the model of there new bookshelves are but they sound great. I really like the NHT's, I would have bought a pair but I had to get the mini monitors. Also give psb and b&w a listen I really like the psb's also.

Nick L

Salvador

Second Unit
i auditioned the 902's a couple of weeks ago and was impressed with its overall clarity. But when all was said and done, i went with the Paradigm Studio 20's since they offered clarity and bass to boot. The price difference wasn't much either, $568 for the 602's and $600 for the 20's (CAD).

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the replies.
Chris-I thought about the 906's but my bedroom's seriously "space-challenged" at the moment. Too much computer stuff. And shoes.;) I will probably listen to both, if I can find a retailer near me.
Nick-I will give NHT a listen. When I first began my HT addiction, I auditioned the SuperOnes and came very close to getting them. I have PSB on my list, as I have heard great things about them. I just need to find an LA area dealer.
Salvador-I actually thought about getting the Studio 20s for my bedroom setup, but I am getting them to replace my MiniMonitors in the rear of my main setup. The 40s are my mains. Wanted to try a different sound. I have to agree, the 20s are a great speaker. I guess with the Mordaunt Shorts I'd be sacrificing some bass. I'm sure my downstairs neighbor wouldn't be too upset!

Salvador

Second Unit
IMO, i think the Studio 20's are in a different league when compared with the mini monitors. When i auditioned the MM they sounded muddy and boomy in comparison to the 902's. But if you're looking for a different sound, then i think the 902's are a good choice. I i think the best choice would be the studio 20's.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
The price difference between the Paradigm Ref and Mordaunt-Short is greater in the US. Canadian speakers cost a lot more in the US, while those from overseas are roughly the same in the US and Canada, when the exchange rate is taken into account.

I never directly compared the two bookshelfs, but as I said above, in the tower versions (Ref 60 vs. 906) I definitely prefered the 906. I and another reviewer go into more detail with this comparison on the audioreview.com site.

Good luck in your choice; I'd be interested in finding out what your eventual decision is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks