What's new

Opinions on Mirage OM-9 fronts (1 Viewer)

Are these suitable for both audio and cinematic sound reproduction or just better suited to one of these applications?

In other words, can I use them with a good deal of success in my HT setup as well as listening to CD's and the like through them.

Michael Yung

Stunt Coordinator
My opinion is that the OM-9 is definately more of a HT speaker then music speaker. I auditioned a pair in my house for about 3 weeks about a year ago. Loved the look, loved the spaciousness of the sound but the imagining was not very good. It's got great mid-range and natural sounding bass but the top end is a bid soft. Perhaps it was not fully broken in. In the end, I decided to bring them back and got Paradigm Reference Studio's instead.

Ultimately price also played a role in my decision. The OM-9 was about a grand and my Studio 40's were substancially cheaper then that. But my impression of the Mirage was still very positive. IMHO, better then Def Tech and other bi/dipole speaker designs. Give them a try in your home and decide for yourself.

Sean M

Stunt Coordinator
I own a pair of these and I am currently driving them with a Marantz SR-8000. I find the imaging to be far more natural and realistic than with conventional designs. My only gripe about them for music is that vocals are more recessed into the soundstage than with my former Virtuel direct radiators. T

here is a major difference in the sound of omni-polars as opposed to direct radiators, however. The holographic imaging of direct radiators is not here. If you are seeking to be able to pinpoint each instrument in space in your room, you're not going to get. I feel, however, that this is not in any way a realistic representation of live music, as it sounds nothing like the live musical performances I've heard. I'm not saying that the Mirages totally realistic, but they are a lot closer to what I hear when I hear live music.

If/when you audition or buy these speakers, you must make sure that they have adequate room to breath in order to get the proper effect. If you have to place your speakers near room boundaries, these are not a good choice.

BTW, the Paradigm Reference speakers, particularly the Studio 40, are excellent speakers. It's just a matter if you prefer bi/omni-polar sound or not. If you do, then the OM-9's are a really solid choice.

Clint

Stunt Coordinator
I am interested in purchasing the OM9's and my local HT shops is offering to sell them to me for $1400, is this a good deal? My HT/music ratio is like 60/40%.

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
My local dealer had/has a pair in cherry last week for $725, new in the box. Tweeters cost on either finish is $649 a pair. Ask your dealer if Vaseline is included! I agree with ALL the above statements. I thought they would work for me, until I heard 2 channel music. They were not for me. Also, I don't have the flexibility on placement that they need.

Clint

Stunt Coordinator
wHOOaaa, $649 a pair!! It's a good thing I didn't bite. What speakers should I auditioned for better 2-channel imaging, then? Any recommendations?

Clint

Stunt Coordinator
Wait my mistake, wrong model number, the price quote was for the OM-7's not the OM-9's and I think the 7's are like $300 more per speaker. Anybody have opinions on the OM-7's and again is $1400 a good deal or is the Tweeter salesman smoking something?

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
My best advice would be to go look at a BUNCH of different speakers. Mirage makes a damn fine speaker. I'm of the opinion that you would STILL need a seperate powered sub for Home Theater use. Mirage users may disagree. I have a relative at Tweeter, and even he agrees. The OM9 with a seperate powered sub is the way, as far as HT goes. I recently auditioned every speaker Tweeter had in stock. I found the Vienna Acoustics to be the nicest sounding speaker near my budget. I can also get screaming deals from Tweeter. Well, my ears won out over my wallet. I ordered a pair of B&W CDM 9NT's from my local dealer. I auditioned so many well regarded speakers, and never got the "feeling". With these, I knew I had nailed it. Even some of the speakers WAY out of my budget, with seperates WAY out of my budget, still didn't "grab me". You will know it when you hear it.

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
Ultimately price also played a role in my decision. The OM-9 was about a grand and my Studio 40's were substancially cheaper then that. ==================================

Wow! that was a touch of honesty I've very rarely seen!

Seriously though, Pinpoint "etched-in-space" Imaging is an artifact of stereo mixing and playback...not what ,imho, is what is heard in the prescense of live acoustic music.....

Mirage are VERY placement friendly, however you do need to give them room to open up (about 18-24" off walls or other impediments).....to clarify you can find the OM10's for @$700, the OM9's for @$1,200, the OM7's for @$1,900...these are per pair.....Omnipolar speakers are not for everyone, but get a few musicians, a few audio nuts, and a few of the "audio-uneducated" together for a blind audition of Omnipolars vs. direct radiators and you'll get some unexpected results.....

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
ON the question of blind auditions/demos, how many have you done?.....I wonder how many of our opinions we have formed solely on our own ,without bias or without having "read" about how something sounds ...... I love hearing someone say "I don't want to hear that brand , I hear their dull"...'REALLY?", I ask, "YOU'VE heard them play before?"..."No , but everything I've read says so"...."O.K., LETS DO SOME BLIND DEMOS and let your ears decide!".........WHAT FUN!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks