Opinions on Marantz 5200 or 9200?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PaulKH, Jan 19, 2002.

1. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

I have a Marantz RC5000 (basically the same as the Pronto). It's been great, but more hard buttons and faster operation would be nice. The new 5200 and 9200 look terrific (more hard buttons, bigger usable display etc.) but does anyone here have one and if so, what do you think?

The 9200 is probably outside of what I'm willing to pay though but it seems like the 5200 is the same thing with monochrome display instead of color, and doesn't do RF).

2. Andrea W

Andrea W Supporting Actor

I also have an RC5000. I decided to upgrade to the 9200. It should be here Thursday. Give me a couple of weeks to play with it and I can let you know. Or post on Remote Central (http://www.remotecentral.com) in the Pronto forum and ask there. A couple of folks there already have one.

3. Jim Lenneman

Jim Lenneman Stunt Coordinator

Paul,

Like Andrea, I have the 9200 coming in a day or two. The 5200 is a nice unit, and since you have a 5000 you know what it's about. Only 3 basic differences (other than the obvious) I can think of. First, for some strange reason, the display doesn't turn on when you touch the screen, only when you touch the side button. Second, this unit reportedly learns head-to-head, rather than head-to-tail. Lastly, the mute button is at the bottom of the row and the channel and volume buttons have changed places. Oh yeah, it WILL do RF like the 9200, if you buy the optional extender. Understand, however, it doesn't "do RF" in the manner you might think. It uses RF to communicate with a base unit, which in turn transmits IR. It's really an IR extender and will not control RF devices.

Jim L

4. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

Excellent feedback guys, thanks. I'm impressed you both shelled out the money for the 9200! That's a lot of dough for a remote. [​IMG]
    Where did you guys buy from?

5. Jim Lenneman

Jim Lenneman Stunt Coordinator

Paul,

Send me a private email and I may be able to help you out on a 5200 or 9200. Just for the record, I'm not selling these things personnally.

Jim L