Opinions on Krell vs Sunfire

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jesse Sharrow, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

I know that both of these are pretty much in different leagues, but... I have decided to basically redo my hometheater from scratch, keeping the dunlavy's and my SVS. Everything esle Im replacing. Its going to take a while. But I want to do it right this time!

What I first need to do is save up for a PRE/PRO. Now because of my speakers I want to do it right. Heres my dilemma... I would be able to build a sunfire Pre/Pro and amp system much faster than a krell system. But would the krell be that much more worth it?

From what I remember from working at soundtrack... we had a sunfire system and a krell stack side by side with the same speakers. And from memory I acctually remember liking the sunfire sound better.

So I just wanted a couple opinions. My worrys are that the dunlavy's are SO trasparent it will bring out any flaws. Well thanks again.

2. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

In a review a few months ago, Sound and Vision compared an Anthem, Parasound Halo, and a Krell pre-pro. The Anthem had the best test results and cost less than the others.

3. Jesse Sharrow

Really? Interesting. Anyone have a link to that. Well I will do some research on anthem... thanks.

4. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

5. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

And the plus side of the Krell would be.......?

6. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Jesse

The bargain your wife got on the Dunlavy's is going to end up costing you a bundle.

7. Jesse Sharrow

Hell yeah it is. And I dont know if she fully understands this! Oh well.

8. Jesse Sharrow

BTW..... Im thinking sunfire is going to be better for me. I guess I didnt look to hard at the anthem though. Now to be honest sometimes I can be hard to convince of anything thats not name brand. Trust me, ask ron, and if anyone else remembers about my SVS. It took a while to convince me and it was worth it. BTW Thanks. So if anyone has any other recommendations please put them in here. I am willing to buy used... and I would like to stay around $3000 or less for pre/pro and amp.

9. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

What about the new Outlaw 990? Is Outlaw enough of a brand name? Apparently it is a good value at $1099. And perhaps by the time you have the money, Outlaw will have a multichannel amp with balanced inputs to take advantage of the 990's balanced outputs.