Opinions on Klipsch speakers wanted please!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MarcR, Nov 21, 2001.

1. MarcR

MarcR Auditioning

I'm thinking about upgrading my surround system from Mirage OM9 series to Klipsch RF7 series but I heard that the Klipsch horns are very harsh. My problem now is the the Mirage speakers lack definition on the high end during 2 channel playback. The store I bought them from will let me upgrade to the Klipsch but I heard some negitive things about the horn tweeter. Any opinions on the Klipsch for HT would be greatly appreciated. I'm using a B&K 307 receiver.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Marc

2. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Well, what did you think of the Klipsch at the store?
    I heard a new B&K yesterday (can't remember the model#, but it was $3500) with a pair of RF7's and it sounded wonderful!
    To be sure Klipsch are not for everyone, the horns can be a little bright, I personally find the Klipsch(usually) not really bright, but I find they really do have great high frequency definition. But I do not have long term experience with them, so I couldn't tell you if they are fatiguing or not, but I don't think so(not with a B&K).
    Now the Klipsch might sound bright with a Yamaha, but I find the B&K to be warm sounding in general and I think the Klipsch go very nicely with the B&K.
    And.....Welcome to the Home Theater Forum!![​IMG]

3. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Maybe the Klipsch + B&K will be a nice match. But you also owe it to yourself to listen to some Def Tech bp2000TL's with the B&K...they are amazing speakers, and it should be a great match! www.definitivetech.com for more info.
    Good luck!

4. TomH

TomH Second Unit

Definately listen to the Klipsch's with a variety of material. Also, listen to a few other brands on the same day. IMHO Klipsch defines bright! Efficient and loud.

I doubt if anyone can suggest a brighter speaker.

5. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

Personaly... I dont own any ...but what I have heard at the store was very harsh. They sounded good for a point..but the highs took over... NOw- this was on a yamaha amp... I would say pair them up with a warmer amp...and that issue may not be as bad....

6. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

I have a pair of RF-3 with the RC-3, RS-3 and the SVS 20-39 w/S700 amp. They are hooked up to an Onkyo 787. My movie/music ratio is probably 90/10.

The other speakers I was interested in were the B&W 603 S2 and a pair of Paradigm Studio (don't remember the exact model.) The B&W speakers sounded great but the sweet spot was much more narrow than the Klipsch. The Paradigm speakers sounded good as well, but not as good as the 603's or the RF-3's. The incredible thing was that the RF-3's were about 40% less than the B&W or Paradigm speakers.

The Klipsch are fantastic with movies. (If you take a look around your local cinema you will probably see horn tweeters.) Pannings are dead-on, voices are clear without being harsh. They are extremely efficient so achieving reference levels is easy. The Klipsch also sound very good with music. To be honest there are a couple songs that I will back the treble off by one to smooth out the sound, but overall I am very pleased and have had numerous long sessions of two channel music enjoyment!

Klipsch are definately brighter than other speakers. Some people love it, some don't notice that much of a difference and some just don't like it at all! As you already know, your best bet is to purchase your speakers from a shop that will allow you to exchange/upgrade if you don't like the sound of the system at home. No matter how much you like a speaker in the store, it will sound different in your house with your equipment!

7. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

Well,I have klipsch speakers.THey are just from the "S" line but..I love them anyway.

I have them running off of a Onkyo tsdx575,set to small(mains=sf-2,center=sc-2 rears= sb-1).I leave them on all day for all of my sat. viewing( I am a stay home dad so the tv is ALWAYS on) and I never get tired of them.I kick on some music and they are great,I kick on a dvd and they are at their best!

Now for the real treat,I have them mated with a SVs and its just a beautiful marriage!

8. MartyK

MartyK Agent

Only you can decide for yourself if the Klipsch surrounds are harsh or not. I have the Klipsch RF-3 mains, RC-3 center, RS-3 surrounds and a B&W sub driven by a Denon 2801 receiver. I myself can't praise Klipsch speakers enough. I've had this setup for almost a year and I love them more everyday. Klipsch reference series speakers really excel in HT (outstanding for music also [​IMG]).
    I've had a chance to listen to the RF-7 mains recently and to me they sound laid back compared to the RF-3.

9. MarkPayton

MarkPayton Stunt Coordinator

Marc, first of all - welcome to the forum!

I recently upgraded from a mixed-bag speaker system (Yamaha and Kenwood) to Klipsch all-around (RB-5, RC-3, RS-3) with an SVS providing the low-end. I can attest that the Klipsch speakers are VERY efficient, and when matched with a Denon 3801 do tend to be a bit bright. But harsh is not the word I would choose. I would describe them as providing crisp, sharp, seemingly sparkling sound. Match them with a good strong low-end and you've got HT audio heaven in my book!

But everyone has their own personal tastes. I encourage you to do as much showroom listening compares as you can. I chose Klipsch after many showroom visits, and made the decision over Def Tech specifically because I prefer the brilliant high-end sound, and love the efficiency of these speakers. Good luck with your decision!

10. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Very happy with my Klipsch Reference 3 series all around with the Onkyo 898 and don't feel the music is bright or harsh at all. These speakers are great for music and HT both.

Most importantly, listen to a lot of speakers with your choice of music and then be your own judge.

11. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    I have klipsch rf3's bi-amped with a parasound 5 channel HT amp. Four channels from the Parasound are used to bi-amp the rf3's and the remaining channel powers my second rear center surround speaker. My Onkyo 797 powers the rest of my setup(KLF C7 center,KSF 8.5's for side surrounds).Dual SVS 25-31's powered by the Samson S700 round out the rest of my system. I love this setup! The RF3's are great speakers already but even better if you can bi-amp them. HT performance is breathtaking. My neihbors don't appreciate my system but my friends love it! You can get a good package deal on Klipsch Reference series speakers if you shop around. Good luck.

12. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

I was always told that if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all. So I wont.

13. Ronald Cage

Ronald Cage Extra

I love Klipsch. I have the klf 10 for the mains the Rc 3 center and the KG2.5 for the rears.
    I have used klipschs for years and have never been disapointed. They are powered by the Yamaha RX-V1000 and they deliver BIG TIME!! The Mummy Ultimate Edition is perhaps the best sounding DVD on my setup. I really dont find them harsh in anyway. Klipsch is an outstanding company
    that makes an affordable and high quality product.
    But, like they say, they do not sound the same at home as the do on the showroom floor. good luck.[​IMG]

14. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

I recently switched to Klipsch paired with a Denon and couldn't be happier.

15. Ricky c

Ricky c Stunt Coordinator

I just ordered some OM7's.You may want to look into these and upgrade to them from the OM9's.Personally i think the Mirages are great speakers.Klipsch are a completly different sounding speaker.Do yourself a favor and audition the OM7's it won't hurt to listen to them.

16. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

I believe that Tom V ,one of the principles of SVS, uses Klipsch and his opinions here are very well regaurded..I own a set of rb5's and have used them on my avr307(though they are not my usual speakers there) with great results. I have a whole mirage system, another whole mission system , as well as electrostats,etc...The mirage and klipsch have a completely differant sound and respond differantly to differant amps.I like my klipsch better on denon and b&k than on yamaha (I have all three receiver brands in my home and sell them as well).As for them being bright or harsh as some here describe, I simply believe that they are revealing of the amp that's driving thems true nature.

I believe that they are the speakers used in al Regal Cinemas and Hard Rock Cafes...