Opinions on kenwood vr-7070

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Bob_Campbell, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Bob_Campbell

Bob_Campbell Stunt Coordinator

Hi all,

I'm looking to start my surround sound setup and I'm looking for a good reciever b/t 400-700. I want thx, dts, dd, and probably 6.1. Is the kenwood line good? If so is the vr-7070 good? It seems like it but I would like a little input please. If there is something better please let me know. Right now i have no speakers, but plan to get some Rockets or something along that line. I have a denon 3800, panny dmr E80, xbox, ps2, comcast Digital, and toshiba 46H83. for all those who reply THANK YOU!!!!

Bob

2. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

You can get the H/K AVR525 at onecall.com for $642 shipped, I'm sure many if not all people will recommend H/K over kenwood or anything.

That kenwood is only $300, so maybe you are setting your sights too low for the amount of money you want to spend.

3. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

you can get the HK avr-525 at 6ave.com for $595 shipped. FYI.

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The Kenwood is a solid performer, but you can do better with the amount of money you're planning on spending. First off, you should eliminate THX certification as part of your criteria. THX certification is pretty much pointless and really boils down to marketing.

Alot of people will recommend HK, and rightfully so. They make some great stuff, and alot of times you can find great deals on refurbished stuff (which still carries the full 5yr HK warranty). HK has a distinctly warm sound.

I'll personally recommend the Pioneer Elite 43TX and 45TX. Both are discontinued, but can still be found online and on eBay for right in your price range. The Pioneer Elite amps are very stout and have neutral sound which I prefer (let the speaker's sound shine).

The Denon 2803 and possibly the 3803 can be had in your price range and are solid performers. The new Yamaha RXV-1400 would be a very nice unit at the upper limit of your price range. The new Sony 2000ES would also fit the bill, and has, from what I've read, a VERY impressive digital amplification stage. If you can find an older Sony 4ES you would also be very happy with it.

The best thing to do is narrow it down to 2 (or maybe 3), demo them in your home with your speakers and other equipment, and keep the one you like the most. Not everyone has the funds available to take this approach, but if you do (or a credit card) it can really save alot of second-guessing.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

5. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

I second the ELITE series. go for one of those!