Opinions on Jeep Wranglers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jake Gove, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Jake Gove

Jake Gove Second Unit

Dec 8, 1998
    I just moved out to Colorado and have been considering getting a Jeep Wrangler. I would be using it both off road in the mountains as well as getting around the city. Any owners out there that would like to speak up on reliability, the differences between the models (Sport, Sahara, and X ), hard tops, soft tops, etc.

2. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

Mar 1, 2002
    Differences: go to the dealer - there the best resource for that.
    Reliability: Here's what typically breaks first - exhaust manifold, o2 sensor, that's about it. I fried the clutch but that was my own stupidity. Under carraige rust will need to be taken care of every few years, especially if your state uses salt.
    Stereo systems are a pain - there just isn't much to work with. That's my only complaint. Well I guess I could complain about gas mileage(15mpg) but it's a Jeep so.
    I personally use a soft top, all year round. Oh...I live in Minnesota so I have given it the ultimate test. It's only bad when it's -10F but then what car isn't. I'd say at that temp your looking at about 50F-55F in the Jeep. I have the half doors also with the plastic windows so I truelly speak from experience. The heaters are EXCELLENT so that is a plus. If you do go with a soft top remember that anything in your vehicle is easily accessable. From my unfortunate experience theives are ABSOLUTE MORONS!!! They could have simply unzipped my windows but instead chose to cut through them. FRICKEN IDIOTS!! Oh well, I bought an aftermarket center console that is bolted and welded together with a hefty lock. Now it is quite secure.
    Anything after 1997 has the new suspension so that is a plus for the ride.
    Any other questions? If not...good luck [​IMG]
  3. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Mar 5, 2002
    I haven't owned a "wrangler" (actually, I think it was an older CJ series)in a few years, but heres my advice...
    *Get the hard-top and full doors. They are less likely to develop leaks, and are harder for theives to get into. Chet_F made the excellant point that a soft-top Jeep w/ half doors might as well have no doors or locks for terms of security.
    *The aftermarket provides better peripherals for less than your Jeep dealer. I once recieved a catalog in the mail, I think it was the "Jeep Owners Bible" or some such title, it basically had anything you could ever want for a Jeep. Hard-tops, locking consoles, differnat seats, a half dozen differant kits for off-road suspension lifts, et cetera.
    *Yes, the exhaust system is pretty lame (what car couldn't use a better system?). I had the whole system, manifolds-to-tips replaced with a BORLA system in the first month. This didn't help the mileage any....
    Differant models.
    Buy whatever model gives you the biggest motor (Last time I looked at specs it was the 4.0L6 in the sport model), all other model names usually only deal with whether it has a hard-top or not. Just worry about the motor, all other things can be easily replaced if you want.
    Just remember, not only is the Jeep wrangler the best-looking SUV (IMHO), it's also the most easily modified vehicle (For style or performance) available! The fact that its a convertible doesn't hurt in the summer[​IMG]
  4. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Mar 29, 2000
    hope you have better luck, but I would never recommend one
  5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Nov 13, 2000
    I hope the latest incarnation of wranglers have improved. I've had CJ7s, one CJ5, a scrambler, and a bunch of the 87-90 vintage wranglers, and every wrangler was a complete pile to be honest. Lots of reliability problems, poor build quality, look around at how many of the 87-9X (don't recall when the latest revision began) are still on the road, they sold millions of them and you harldy ever see one around, that should tell you something.
    as far as offroading they're great, they can get in and out, and turn around in places a bigger 4WD can not.
    I had both hard and soft tops, get a hardtop and doors, much more comfortable, especially if it's a daily driver. The soft tops flap around a bit on the highway. At least the older ones did, that large flat panel from the windshield to the back is tough to brace so I doubt they've improved too much.
    if it's not going to be a daily driver and just a dedicated offroader, why not look for a landcruiser FJ40 [​IMG]
  6. Kyle

Kyle Stunt Coordinator

Jan 25, 1999
    I love mine! But hey you'll either love them or hate them. Check out the lins:
    I currently have mine for sale, not big enough for a family, I bought a Durango. I can't afford both.
    Will I buy another one down the road.....YES
    Sahara is top of the line, Sport middle of the road and SE basic. Things you want: Hardtop with full steel doors (for the winter. Soft top is nice in the summer. 6 cylinder (4 bangers are gutless)Addons are endless, order a quadretec catalog for free and go wild! For the people without them: Its a Jeep thing you wouldn't understand [​IMG]
    Heres my specs:
    1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Sport Utility
    Engine: 6-Cyl. 4.0 Liter
    Trans: Automatic
    Drive: 4 Wheel Drive
    Mileage: 43,000
    Hard Top
    Rear Seat
    Air Conditioning
    Power Steering
    Tilt Wheel
    AM/FM Stereo
    Single Compact Disc
    Dual Front Air Bags
    Custom Bumper
    Alloy Wheels
    31" Tires
    rear Speaker Bar
    Nada Book
    Trade in
    Average retail
    I'm asking $12500/obo
    Edited for content
  7. Anny Chien

Anny Chien Agent

Aug 27, 2002
    I don't own a Jeep Wrangler code TJ, but is a very capable rig. 4 coil suspension, bompproof 4.0, etc. I like my Jeep Cherokee since climbling hills is better for a long wheel base such as the cherokee XJ, but the TJ will do better crawling over rocks. There's also many aftermarket parts for TJs such as suspension, interior, exterior, etc. Check out www.jeepsunlimited.com and ask questions. Let me know if you need any parts, because I can direct you to good deals.
  8. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

Oct 26, 2000
    My wife has a 2002 Cherokee and she loves it. I have had a Wrangler for a couple of years and have had no problems to speak of. We both have the 4.0 6 cyl. I would avoid the 4 cyl as it is underpowered.
    Go to www.jeep.com and look at the Build My Vehicle link to get good info about all the models and options. We chose to get a Sport and add a couple of option packages instead of getting a Sahara since my wife hated the two tone seats in the Sahara and you cna get all the important features that come on the Sahara pkg for less with other packages but with no Sahara decal of course. The X pkg has some of the more popular "hard working" features lke the 4.0 engine but not many frills and has a monochrome paint scheme. If you can wait a while, later for the 03 year, they are bringing out the Rubicon pkg which has some serious off road features even aftermarket type stuff like rock rails but is a factory package. You can always add the stuff piecemeal if you wat to any Jeep of course.
    We got the hard top soft top combo as the hard top has a glass back window with defroster, somethings that seems like it would be essential in CO, but we like to put the soft top on in the spring so we can enjoy the convertible aspect of it. We never lock the doors with the soft top on since it would encourage theives to slash the top. We did get the add-a-trunk which is a little campartment that allows you to use the space behind the back seat with the gate as a locking, but small, trunk. Comes in handy for trips to the mall for video games or DVDs. [​IMG]
    We got the upgraded stereo with the 8 inch subwoofer (can you call that a sub?) in the center console and the sound bar. It sounds surprisingly good but is not about to win any contests. It is my wife's daily driver and she wanted the stock look so what can you do [​IMG] .
    The heat and A/C rock so no problems there. I guess after so many years of people complaining, they beefed it up.
    For some good aftermarket stuff, go to Rosser Jeep or J. C. Whitney
    Have fun and remember that off the showroom floor, a Wrangler is a more capable vehicle than 99% of everything on the road including many aftermarket built trucks.