What's new

Opinions on Home Theater setup....sub/speakers? (1 Viewer)

Sonnie Parker

Second Unit
My current setup includes the following:

Sony 61" Big Screen

Sunfire Cinema Grand (200 X 5) (Approx. 300 X 4 with the PSB's at 6 ohms)

Sony TA-E9000ES Pre/Pro

Toshiba DVD

Sony LD

CAL Icon MkII

and a few misc. items

18' X 20' X 10' carpeted room with 4 open doorways (2 large ones at 4' and 5' and 2 smaller ones) and concrete slab foundation.

90% HT

10% Music

I am favoring purchasing the PSB Image 6T's, 9C, 10S's for my mains/surrounds (approx. $1400-1500 shipped). I believe I will get the most bang for my buck here. They are shielded, which I need. They have received good references from HT Mag and The Perfect Vision's Robert Harley. And it seems many here in the forum are very well pleased with them.

As far as subs go....it's a whole different story. I can't make up my mind. I'm concerned about filling my opened up room. SVS and HSU will not pass the SAF (no exceptions) so I have been favoring the Sunfire True Sig, Velodyne HGS-12 or SPL1200. The SPL is half the price of the first two. I am curious as to whether the extra money is going to buy me that much more output. It appears they are all very close.

Any opinions, suggestions are appreciated.

SP

Christian Speights

Stunt Coordinator
Just for kicks I posted a question about the HGS12 and the Sunfire Sig. Try this thread for some interesting commentary.
I think the Sunfire and the SPL may have more output than the HGS...the HGS will play with less distortion.
I am running the Mk II and am not pleased with its performance with signals >50hz. I was considering the refurbed SPL1200s at onecall...but they sold out. :frowning:
Hope this helps.

Dan_C

Agent
Just another satisfied PSB 9C and 6T owner droppin' in and saying hello.

I'm a happy HSU VTF-2 owner too; but I know you don't care.

Sonnie Parker

Second Unit
I read most of that thread you speak of Christian...It is very interesting.

TV told me that TN reviewed the sp1200 and it did really well....close to the hgs-15....that's pretty strong.

----------------------------------------------------------

I do care! I really do!

What size room do you have Dan? Do those 6t's fill up the room well? Curious because I'm about to order the 6t's, 9c, and 10s's first of next week. (Unless I change my forever changing mind.)

SP

Dan_C

Agent
Sonnie,

I figured you cared about the 6Ts and 9C. However, since you stated that a HSU sub was out of the question I figured my elatedness w/ my HSU was irrelevant to your question.

But anyway...My room is 12' x 25' and the 9C and 6T fill it very well. I couldn't be happier with the PSB performance in HT or music.

Of course, my hardwood floors probably enhance things a bit but I have a feeling a carpeted room would be filled to the brim as well.

Good luck!

Sonnie Parker

Second Unit
Dan,

Does the VTF fill your room as well? I really haven't ventured into this model. I just can't get the cyclinders until they start making them 15-16 inches high.

SP

Dan_C

Agent
Sonnie,

The HSU more than adequately fills the room. I mean it bumps! I have never had to turn it up more than 1/3 of the way up; even with home theater. Furthermore, like most quality powered subwoofers, the bass merges with the sound of the rest of the system so you can't pinpoint where the bass is coming from.

I mean I can stand 2 feet in front of my towers and center speakers (both set to "small") and can't tell that the bass is coming from my HSU 6 or 8 feet away in the corner.

I have been very pleased (like everyone else in the forum who has the HSU).

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Dan_C:

I see you have PSB speakers. I looked all over the triad area looking for a dealer.. but couldn't find one. Did you find yours locally?

Dan_C

Agent
Rick,

Like you, I couldn't find a local dealer in the triad to audition the PSBs. I ended up buying them from an online dealer (reliableaudiovideo.com) who has a 14d trial period where you could return the speakers for a full refund if you didn't like them.

Of course I was taking a chance as I would have to pay for shipping back to the seller (which for the 6Ts alone is $70). However, I did a lot of prior research and all the PSB owbers on the forum seemed very happy so I felt comfortable taking this chance.

The nice thing about reliable audio video is that they are not authorized dealers but they match the original manufacturers warranty (with only a few exceptions for some brands). So for the PSBs, that is a 5 year warranty which is huge.

I paid $248 for the 9C and $639 for the 6Ts. I felt this was a pretty good deal considering it includes the warranty (retail is $499 and $999, resp.). However, I have noticed that reliable has upped its prices for the PSBs recently; it might be a Christmas thing.

I have been more than happy with my purchase.

Sonnie Parker

Second Unit
I checked out reliable myself along with speedandsound.com (who now holds the cheapest prices on the PSB's via Yahoo shopping.) I was too skeptical of the warranty though. These companies have popped up all over the place. Most are insurance replacement companies acting as a middle man with no store front. Usually you won't know what dealer you bought them from until you get the box in. It's too strange as to why they can't be manufacture warranteed. I could not verify that they are proven on upholding the warranty end. They've not been around for long...only a few years that I could verify. It's kinda scary. But they may be perfectly legit.

After further thought I decided to call my buddies at kiefsav.com and see what deal I could get from them. They were only a little higher but they are authorized. They have several price levels if you check out their site. Give Ed a call. I have been buying from these fellows for 9 years now. The more you buy....the better deal you get, and that's not to say you won't get a good deal initially. Negotiate as usual.

Btw, I checked into the VTF and it's depth is going to be too much at 19+ inches. I am very limited as to size due to location. I've pretty much got one corner spot to place the sub and it can't stick out too far. I'm gonna have to hope for the best response with no major dips and maybe only peaks that I can tame with the BFD and AVIA.

SP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks