What's new

Opinions on Hitachi 51SWX20B (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -
sght recently reviewed this set (nov 02 issue). they gave it a pretty glowing review. quotes include "...the best rear-projection set i've reviewed to date." and "highly recommended".
more importantly for me, it's right about the max of what i would like to spend ($3000.00).
out of the box, the picture was okay. but after calibration, the reviewer was pretty impressed. i'm not one to put much faith in reviewers words, but when they really espouse (sp?) a product, it'll usually perk my interest.
anyway, i'm just curious as to other members opinions about this unit.
thx,
ted
[edit] here is the official website link

MichaelFusick

Second Unit
You should also pick up the Perfect Vision magazine.

Same results. The reviewer from Pefect Vision also stated it was he current best and favorite RPTV he's ever reviewed.

It was a good and in depth review, and the SWX 57" bested the Pioneer ELITE (considered to be the best by some) on many points, including shadow details, and black reproduction and de-interlacing. I remember reading that Red push was correctable on the Hitachi (which is not correctable on the ELITE) and after correction, On DVD it was "NO contest". HITACHI seemed to do alot of things really well, and better than most.

It's an excellent RPTV, with very good out of the box quality as well.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thanks michael - that just encourages me even more. i'll check out the additional review.

Dan Ponze

Stunt Coordinator
Yep I can not say enough good things about the Hitachi both in terms of picture quality and in terms of features and ease of use. It really is impressive and if I were going to buy one, that or their XWX model would be what I would buy.

FrankL

Grip
Guys what about the stretch mode I keep hearing so much negative talk about?
I have a Mits 65311 on order and I am not confident that I am making the right decision. I hear the Mits is really sweet after calibration but it would be nice if it looked decent out of the box. Also there is the red push issue to deal with on the Mits. I would like a TV that does a decent job with standard cable since I know that will be the majority of viewing in my house along with weekly DVDs.
I think I can get the 57SWX at the same price as the Mits. Its funny, if I go to another site
they tell me that the Mits is far superior to any Hitachi but the results of that review seem to speak for themselves.
Come on guys help me out. Should I switch? and if I should could you tell me why?

Thanks

MichaelFusick

Second Unit
Hitachi has a better stretch than Mits. Pioneer and Toshiba have a better stretch than Hitachi.

Mits and Hitachi do not have as good stretches as Toshiba and Pioneer.

I would not base my decision for the Mits on stretch.

As for cable and DSS, the hitachi will look better. Hitachi does a much better job with 480i signals.

Some like Mits because it does 480P native though.

I would say, the SWX vs 311 is no contest- Winner SWX.

The 311 is closer to the UWX Hitachi line, as the 411/511 should be compared to the SWX.

The 311 does only has 4 lenses, the Hitachi's and the 411 and up all have five.

Also, the SWX also has an anti-glare screen which does not come into the Mits line untill the Diamond series 711.

Hitachi viewing angle is 160 degrees, and on the Mits it is only 110. 50 degrees difference for off axis viewing.

Also, The SWX uses 2 way bass-reflex speakers with 40 watts, while the Mits only uses full range speakers and 20 watts.

SWX also gives you two remotes, and AV network- You can't get the Mits net command untill the higher 511 and up Mits lines I think.

A big one... Hitachi has DVI and Mits does not.

I also heard that the 311 does not have an adjustable color decoder or red push fix yet.. but I think the higher models do.. Is this correct anyone?

That's the differences I see between them. Both Mits and Hitachi make good tv's. I just think that the SWX should be compared to the higher Mits lines, and against the 311 line, I would say the SWX is alot better. If you can snatch up a SWX for about the same price as a 311, then I think your alot better off with that based on quality and value and features. SWX is a higher line, while the 311 is entry level Mits so it's not really a fair comparo at all. I am sure it looks like my Hitachi bias is comming through... But honestly I think I summed up the differences pretty well.

Good luck.

FrankL

Grip
Thanks for the info Michael. Thats exactly the type of info I was looking for. I thought the only difference between the 311 and the 411 series was "quad focus" maybe that is adding the fifth lens? I know the lump on Mits is the red push issue. What is the down side of the Hitachi? Is the native 480P a big difference in terms of picture quality?
What about DVD? Is that signal better or worse on the hitachi? Its impossible to compare in a store since settings are all different.
How about you calibrators? Which is easier to calibrate?
After calibration, is there a big difference in PQ between the two?

Thanks
Frank

Jon Sciabica

Agent
I recently purchased the 51swx20b. In my opinion it is leaps and bounds above any other TV i have seen. I do not have one single complaint. I can't imagine a better picture and I haven't even had it calibrated yet. I use it mostly for moviesand the quality is amazing, however the picture quality from the Dish is mediocre. Yet I think this is the case with all digital telivisions this size. I think the panasonic's and toshiba's may have better stretch capabilities, but dont even compare when it comes to high quality, widescreen, content. Can't wait for HDTV.

MichaelFusick

Second Unit
toshiba's may have better stretch capabilities
Your probably right.

The difference between the two is that Toshiba chops off more of the picture so you have to stretch less, then they stretch the center a little more than Hitachi does, which does not make them have to stretch the edges as much as Hitachi.

Hitachi does not stretch the center at all, so for slow movement and things like the News and Sitcoms, faces in the center of the screen don't look tugged on or pulled/stretched at all.

It's only fast motion like football or basketball that bothersome to watch on the hitachi because as the camera pans left to right the lines of the court of field bend..it's pretty distracting.

I always watch with the bars on the sides anyway... It's how you are supposed to watch it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks