Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Gardiner, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Feb 15, 2002
    What does everyone think of the uncut edition of Heavenly Creatures? When I first watched the DVD, I was confused because I had a hard time picking out ten minutes of material I had not seen before. I later realized that the uncut version had been shown on cable years ago and I had seen parts of the film (although not the ending) in this form.
    The biggest surprise for me in the uncut version was the final shot:
    Pauline covered with blood.

I'm not sure what to think of this. I think I may prefer the ending of the shorter version, where the sepia toned shot of Pauline fades to black.
    I appreciate having the scenes of Mr. Hulme's firing and Bill Perry's moving in cut back into the film. These plot points are a little vague in the short version.
    I think cutting for violence is silly, especially since most of the victims were made of clay. I suppose the scene with the girls spying on the Hulmes playing tennis is expendable, I don't think it tells us anything we don't already know.
    Overall, I guess my own personal "ideal" cut would be the longer NZ version minus the final bloody shot.
    Any comments would be welcome.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] in Disney's direction for giving us this fine disc.
  2. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

May 1, 2000
    Yes, I agree - for me ideally the final shot would simply:

fade to black with the sound of pauline screaming

..though it seems not even the theatrical cut (which I haven't seen in some time) does this. If you ask me it's a little overstated as is stands; but it's

only a second or two and hardly ruins the film

As for the rest of the material, if you've never seen the film before it's impossible to pick out the extra material. I think it adds to the film and works better with it.

3. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Dec 11, 2000
    I hadn't seen Heavenly Creatures in years prior to buying this new DVD edition. I still managed to pick out most of the "new" footage, most of which I felt wasn't all that necessary. Interesting to see, though.
  4. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Feb 23, 2000
    I feel that the end shot was not absolutely necessary, but then again it was, as the entire film had basically been composed to make the viewer sympathize with these two young disturbed teenage girls and the over-dramatized world view that they (and most teenage girls) had, however in the end it is important to bring home the fact that they actually killed someone. The fact that the previous scene was indeed the murder scene more than did this of course, but to me the final shot truly brought home the horrible reality of this tragedy.
    To me it was as meaningful as A Clockwork Orange's final "I was cured all right" final shot, you already knew that Alex was back on the path to violence but the final shot drove it home.
    To me the final shot in Heavenly Creatures has the same dramatic effect. But that's just my opinion.