Opinions on George Washington ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marc Colella, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Was thinking about picking up the upcoming Criterion George Washington disc, and wanted to know what everyone thought of the film as I've never seen it.
    This quote from Roger Ebert's review has me interested in the film (since I love Terrance Malick's films - especially TTRL):
    "The cinematography, by Tim Orr, is the best of the year. The mood and feel of the film have been compared to the work of Terence Malick, and Greene is said to have watched "The Thin Red Line" over and over while preparing to shoot."
    Can anyone share their opinions of this film?

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I caught George Washington on the Sundance Channel a couple of weeks ago. Ebert is correct - the cinematography is outstanding. I liked the movie and found it interesting, but I can't say that I would want to watch it again. I recommend renting it first...

Edit: GW reminded me of the movie Fresh, another interesting movie that I have little desire to see again.

3. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

Marc,
    Once again, our paths cross. [​IMG] We still need to get Waydowntown on DVD.
    I'm picking up the Criterion DVD of "George" sight unseen. It's a great looking disc and I'm sure will hold David Gordon Green's vision of the film up quite well.
    Jason

4. Doug D

Doug D Stunt Coordinator

I know plenty of smart people who loved this film, but it caused me great pain when I saw it. David Gordon Green is really in love with arbitrary zooms and dubious Malick-style narration and non-acting "acting".

I strongly recommend watching it once first.

5. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I heard he watched Badlands for inspiration, not The Thin Red Line. I describe it as a blend of Terrance Malick with a documentary approach. I also recommend renting it first if you can.

~T

6. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

I'm curious to see it again. I saw it about a year ago and was a little underwhelmed after seeing all the praise being heaped upon it. It's an interesting, and beautifully shot, film, but you better be patient. This thing moves at a deliberate pace and didn't quite tie up like I thought it was.

7. Mario Bartel

Mario Bartel Stunt Coordinator

I saw this a couple of years ago at the Vancouver Film Festival and was bored by it. Malick's films are action thrillers compared to the languid pace of GW.