What's new

Opinions on FP for my situation (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Johnson

Auditioning
Thanks in advance for all your help. I have been trolling the forums for a while trying to learn as much as I can about FP's and you guy's have convinced me to forgo the big screen and get right into the good stuff.

Here is my situation. The room I have is a designated media room with a 13 ft. throw. I have two leather recliners that are split so the projector will be able to sit back the full 13 ft. The room itself has one window but it has been covered making the room pretty much pitch black.

The projector will be used for movies and a lot of PS2 (been addicted to GT4 since it came out.) It is not vital but it would be nice if the projector could also hook up to my computer (I have a ton of car video's that I would love to be able to show case on a big screen and surround sound.) Right now I have an old Sony 27inch TV in the room that the FP will replace. I am not expecting plasma HD quality out of my FP for the budget that I have but somthing that is as crisp and clear as a standard rear projection television (with a bigger screen) would be nice. Ideally the FP would be around 1500 (I just bought a new custom house, am looking for a new Cobra, had to put a 36inch Sony Wega in the living room this christmas, and I am married to the most wonderfull women who also happens to be a financial analyst and controls all the finances, enough said.) I think I could swing 2,000 so I would also like opinions on that price range if it would be more practical than what I could get for my 1500 dollar budget considering my situation.

Now from what I gather the screen size for a 13 ft. throw would be about 62 inches up and down in 16:9 format. I am not currently hooked up for HD with my cable provider and the movies I play now are played through my PS2, but I do plan on getting HD service some day. Any thoughts on screen size would be very appreciated.

Any opinions on a quality projector (in the 1500, as well as 2000 range), screen, and store are very welcome. I saw the infocus at Sams yesterday and was very tempted to buy it, it didn't have a description as far as the pixels and lumens, all I could tell was that it had keystone correction (what are your thoughts on this projector?) Since I was getting so close to buying one I thought I would ask you guys since you know your stuff like no other.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Hmm, with a 13ft room depth and a 12' lens-screen throw (accomodating for length of the projector itself) you could easily accomodate a 100" 16:9 image if you are so inclined. Many here recommend the Infocus 4805 for the price that you are searching for. There are also other PJ options as well though.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
I'm not going to be too original and suggest trying the Infocus Sp4805. It is probably the one you saw at Sams....just make sure. It is a great projector for the money and if used for strictly games and movies it is perfect.......and yes it can be hooked to our computer as well. It is a great unit to use with a HTPC.
If I can make a suggestion on where to buy......try TV Authority. They are an authorized dealer, can beat the Sams price and they are a forum sponcer. They also have a deal that will include a 76" screen and 30' S video cable for free using a mail in rebate. ( which means you will get the screen and cord in about 6 weeks or so). I have never dealt with them but have heard wonderful things a Kip is a frequent poster on these forums. To use a 76" screen your projecto should be about 11.5 - 12' away so it will be close for you. I am sure they have other screen options for you but of course they will cost $. If you want to save on a screen than try to make one your self. It is VERY easy and can cost under 50$ and looks great. Best of luck to you.

Michael Pineo

Stunt Coordinator
Another projector to consider would be the Panasonic PT-AE700U. The projector was designed with shelf-mounting at the rear of a room in mind (it vents out the front) and has enough zoom to give you a choice of screen sizes at that distance. Projector Central's calculator shows that at a throw distance of 13' you could have a screen anywhere from 65" to 128" (16:9, measured diagonally).

I am biased because I have a Panasonic 300U, but the reviews for the 700 are outstanding and it can be had for around $2000.

MikeP

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
My theater is 14' and the projector is a little less than 13" Check it out here: Basement Theater
I am using a 4805 and have a 91" diagonal 16:9 screen. My 4805 came with a 30' s-video and a 72" screen rebate, but I made my 91" screen out of blackout cloth. We have the cable, DVD, PS2 & Gamecube hooked up. I am planning on the computer in the near future. The set up works great for us!:)

terence

Supporting Actor
Well me 3 will suggest the looking into the 4805, i think you will be quite pleased with it's performance. Also the enviroment you plan on using it is just right for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks