Opinions on flatbed scanner?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Wilson, Jan 27, 2003.

1. John Wilson

John Wilson Supporting Actor

I'm looking to replace an HP Scanjet 4100C with a new scanner. I changed OS from 98SE to XP and the scanner isn't supported by HP anymore. Way to go, HP!?[​IMG]

I'm open to other brands but I've been looking hard at the new Canons, either the CanoScan 5000F or maybe even the 8000F. Has anybody had good or bad experiences with either of these models or other Canon scanners? I want to stay under $200 if possible and USB 2.0 would be nice.[​IMG] I plan to use for everything but will be using alot to scan photos and maybe negatives. To be honest, I'm not that thrilled with the HP's speed or S/W but if someone has an HP that they just love and does most anything well, I'll listen.:b

Thanks for your input![​IMG]

2. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Well John I dont know if I will be much help but I am in the same situation as you. I own a CanoScan 300 scanner and when I upgraded my machine awhile back to XP I had to download the new driversinterface from Canon (Which amazing enough they had) The only problem was that its a SCSI scanner with an ISA interface card. hmmmm NO ISA slots on the new motherboards.... BIG PROBLEM. [​IMG]

I can tell you however that I was extremely impressed with my Canon scanner up until that point but these new Canons I couldnt help you with.

KyleS

3. Kris McLaughlin

Kris McLaughlin Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys,
    I used to have a 4100C as well, then I switched to Win2k. Oh well, I always thought that old thing was too slow, anyway. [​IMG] I replaced it with a Canon N656u a couple of years ago, and have never looked back.
    It's one of those slim scanners (it's silver, too - sexy! [​IMG]), since it uses LEDs instead of the traditional fatty-type lamps. The main advantage of these guys is that there is no delay to wait for the lamp to warm up, it's just ready to go any time.
    My scanner is a fairly low-end model, and I've always had good results with it. The Canon software is not bad, allowing a fair number of advanced options.
    I think these Canons are definitely worth a look.

Cheers