Opinions on Denon

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Joe Dorough, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Joe Dorough

Joe Dorough Auditioning

I am working on a HT in my basement and after a little looking I believe I have decided on a Denon AVR 1604 as my reciever. I'm not planning on using it as a video switch (plan on going straight from a DVD player through DVI to a projector). Problem is since this model is pretty new I can't find many reviews - Does anybody have one of these or an opinion of Denon in general?

One thing about my HT room is that it is about 18 feet by 19 feet by 8 feet high. I'm trusting the 1604 will have enough power.

This probably won't help but my speakers are
    mains - homemade designed at audio lab at Ga Tech (37 Hz 3 dB rolloff point)
    center - homemade designed by D'Appolito for Audax
    surrounds - old EPIs left over from college
    rear - not yet
    sub not yet

any opinions would be greatly appreciated

Joe

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

It would help to know the sensitivity of your speakers. I have a feeling that in your 2700 cu ft room the 1604 might be a little underpowered, if you want to achieve reference levels. If your speakers are over 90db sensitive then you will be ok but if they are in the mid 80's then the 1604 would be running out of steam during those explosion scenes. If you can swing the extra $$ I would suggest going to at least a 2803 not because it has 10-15 more watts but because it has preouts for all the channels. That way if you felt your internal amps were underpowered you could always add an external two channel amp and have enough power to rock your HT. The 2803 also has better processing features compared to the 16XX series. If you shop online you might find a good deal on the 2803.

As far as the Denon brand goes in general, they are very reliable and well built (all but the 18XX and the 16XX series built in Japan[​IMG] ). They are very neutral and transparent sounding (perhaps slightly warm) with more than capable power supplies. So you wouldn't be sorry to buy a Denon.

MHO.

3. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I can't comment on the 1604. But since the title of the thread is "opinions on Denon" I must say that I am pleased with my 2803. Like Yogi said, the only thing I would really be concerned about with the 1604 is the sensitivity of your speakers. My room is a similar size to yours (17X19X8) and I usually don't go above -25 on the volume. My speakers are rated a 91 sensitivity BTW.

4. Cagri

Cagri Second Unit

I have a room bigger than yours and I replaced my old Kenwood receiver with a 1802 some time ago, upon recommendations one of which was from Yogi. I never feel more power is necessary, and don't go above -20 on my receiver with my 91dB speakers. When I calibrated my system at 65dB reading on meter the volume was -25 IIRC, and that's where I normally watch/listen. Last night for the first time since I got the 1802 I turned the volume up to -8 while listening 2channel music and there was some significant stress on my speakers, some distortion but it wasn't clipping yet (I am curious as to where it starts clipping. Anyone has an idea?).

Hope that gives you a general idea.

5. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    For very little more money, the AVR 1804, or even it's predecessor, the 1803, would be a better machine than the 1604. Much better amp/power supply.

6. BrandonMLR

BrandonMLR Auditioning

I have had an AVR-2800 for over 3 years and I love it (a few quirks that I don't care for, though). However, I admit that I am currently considering an upgrade to a new H/K 630 - feature upgrades are my only motivation.