What's new

Opinions on Denon 3802 Vs. Onkyo 898 (1 Viewer)

Corey W

Agent
Well it looks like its between these 2 for my Reciever. Any opinions on one over the other. I know the Onkyo has Wideband Component Switching whereas the Denon does not and is also THX Certified.

Also if anyone have any good Online Authorized Dealers for either i would appreciate it.

Thanks again

Corey W

GregoriusM

Second Unit
Both are excellent receivers. I think you are going to pay a little more for the Onkyo.

I believe it boils down to which sound you like best?

A nice feature on the Onkyo is the Composite to S-Video upconverting.

THX is up to you. There are a lot of people who have THX processing on their receivers, and never use it. Some actually don't like what it does to the sound.

The Onkyo has a much better remote control. (The Pronto clone CHAD remote is optional.)

Listen to both A/B is my recommendation. I don't think you'll go wrong with either.

This is coming from a Denon fan!

... Greg

Corey W

Agent
Truthfully i dont know if im gonna notice the differnce in the way they sound since this is my first HT setup. Its going to be powering a set of Acousic Research HC6's.

Might see if there is somewhere around here I can audition them. Keep the opinions coming.

Corey W.

jason celaya

Stunt Coordinator
I went from Onkyo to Denon and couldnt be more happy. I currently have 3802 w/ a POa 5200 2 channel. I think the power on the DEnons are more true. No need for THX processing, sounds muddy to me.

Colin-K

Agent
I know there are a lot of Denon fans out there but IMHO the Onkyo is a better sounding receiver. I'm also in the market for a new receiver. I threw out the Denons when I compared them to the Yamaha RX-V1200 at my local Sound Advice Dealer. Actually, I think the Onkyo sounds better than the Yamaha. Also, check out hifi.com to purchase. They are an authorized dealer and offer no interest financing.

Nick G

Stunt Coordinator
From what I have seen of the authorized Onkyo dealers J&R Music World usually has the best prices. WWW.J&R.COM You need to call them and negotiate the deal since last time I looked they did not post the prices on their web page.
Nick

Corey W

Agent
I havent called JandR as of yet. Hifi.com i get a corporate discount of 25% but the Onkyo was still around $1200 or so. Thanks so far to everyone who has reponded.

Corey W

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Yep! JR! You should get them to beat the lowest internet price and free shipping. I'm down to the 3802/898/5es//
I'm leaning a little towards the 898, but not by much. And the Denon is $749 vs $1069 for the Onkyo. Thats $300 at least in difference. This is real tough. The Sony can be had at JR also. Saw it for $900 in Con.
Probably the 3802 is the best bang for the buck if you can find an authorized dealer that will sell cheap?????
See the dealer thread below.;)

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
On the J&R flyer I got yesterday they advertised the Onkyo 898 for $1099 and the 595 for $399. I know they'll sell the 595 for $359 so its likely you could get the 898 for $1050 if you ask for it.

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
I picked up the 898 from J&R ~4 months ago for $1049 shipped. Great deal...amazing receiver. I listened to a lot of receivers in this price range and I liked this one the best...by far.

Thanks,

Jeff

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Ok/ Some people on this forum are saying the quality of Onkyos is weak!!!!

Does anyone, that actually owns one, have a defect to post for the 898 only???????????????????????????

Audio review rates this at 4.94 out of 5 from owners!

Corey W

Agent
Well it looks like im going with the Denon 3802. Thanks to everyone for their help. Only 2 differences i can see are the fact that the Onkyo has THX and also has Wideband Component Inputs which i dont need and if i get an HDTV in a few years It will have the HD Tuner etc built into it.

Also the price on the Denon is a bit cheaper with the Crutchfield/Amex pricematching deal going on.

Thank You to everyone for your opinions and help.

Corey W

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Corey, I had the 3801 for almost a year and I have always been a Denon Fan as my first derious HT receiver was AVR-3000. I tried the 3802 and the 898 at my place for a good 2 weeks before I settled on the 898.

I thought the 898 was a better fit because it has high bandwidth comp. video switching, more digital inputs and outputs, very easy to setup, pure digital mode, unsampling, front inputs etc.

Also, the amplification was very very clean and IMHO, I don't think this receiver sounds bright at all. When I was comparing it to the 3802, I wanted to select a receiver to be used as a future pre/pro and in that aspect also, I like the 898 over the 3802.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
A question or two for owners of both units.

Do they have a set of pre-out/power amp inputs? I am considereing both units, but I use an Audio Control Bijoux EQ in my system, and would need to be able to patch that in to all main channels (L,R,C,SR,SL,Sub). I have a feeling the answer will be no, but I did note that they both list 7 channel in and out (not sure what the "out" is for).

Also, does either have a tape loop w/monitor capability? I have a 3 head cassette deck, and also use some outboard processors that are patched in through a tape loop.

My current receiver, a nice but dated Marantz SR-96 may soon me retired, and the 3802 and 898 are on my list. If they have the feaures I need, I will replace the Marantz lock, stock, and barrell. If not, I will use them as an outboard decoder and connect to the Marantz 5.1 input.

Actually plan "A" was/is to buy an Outlaw 950, and run it into the Marantz 5.1 input, but I am starting to really wonder if the 950 will be released in my life time.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Brian

Corey W

Agent
NickSP now you got me looking at the Onkyo again ;)
I didnt notice the D/A Converters on the Denon were only 96/24 instead of 192/24 that might make a difference. Looks like i will be doing some more research before i make my purchase. Thanks
Corey W

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Corey! What if AMEX does not do the price match. Then you are stuck with a $1000 purchase thats worth $742 max. I am convinced that the 898 at JR may be the way to go. Maybe!!!!! Or you could go to OADES and get the 5es for $900.
I want 7 amps, at this point, but are we really getting 7 channels of sound that is unique. Maybe the 6 channel Sony has all the unique channels we need. Who knows!!!!!!!!!! Help, i'm talking and I can't shut up!!:laugh: :crazy:

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Just thought I would post this dealer info at ebay. This is not the dealer I placed a bid with but it has so good info for you Denon freaks.

quote""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Sound Professionals Inc. was established in San Diego in 1973, and we've been on the internet since 1997. We pride ourselves in providing the professional knowledge and service you would expect from a business with over 26 years experience. Our goal is to make the internet buyers experience the best it can be, by offering lower prices and better service without the hype that you will see elsewhere on the web. We know and believe in the products we sell, which enables us to provide the information necessary for each individual to make an informed purchasing decision, which is rare in today's ever-growing internet marketplace.

PRIVACY POLICY

Sound Professionals, Inc. is committed to your trust and respect for your privacy. It is our policy to keep all personal information we collect for order processing and advertising strictly confidential.We do not give out or sell any information gathered from this site.

ABOUT OUR PRODUCTS

All of our merchandise is "BRAND NEW" USA product and comes factory sealed with all original manufacturers supplies and paperwork.We do not sell "B" good items on this site.Every shipment is packed with extreme care, always in brand new condition. We back everything we sell 100%!!! Most manufacturers do not want internet companies to sell their products via mail order. Some Manufacturers do not authorize us to sell on the internet. Therefore some manufacturers will tell you your warrantee will be void. However, Sound Professionals, Inc. will honor the full manufacturers warrantee through our store"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" end quote

Corey W

Agent
A question on the Onkyo 898 for people that have them. Does it have an RS-232 port in the unit? Because most of the pictures of the unit ive seen show it on there but the pictures on Onkyo's website and Crutchfield dont show it on there.

Thanks

Corey W

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
OK//I'M DOUBLE BAD!!!!
Call 6th ave and get your stuff if you do not have a local dealer within driving distance. Ask for Steave or anyone. They will put you in pain. The wife hitting you kind when she sees the charge card!
PS// I ordered my 3802/should be here Tues. If I told you the price I would have to kill you. Get your own price!
EARL
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
;) ;)

itai

Stunt Coordinator
Corey

i have a 3802 and can say clearly, the 898 is better.

all its specs are superior, better connections, and higher

quality component bandwidth. thats important if you get a high quality tv, not just an hdtv, say a toshiba 32" 16:9 for example, or some digital loewe-opta with component inputs.

denon's next model is the expensive 4802, so they leave this gap between their products volunrable to competitors.

the 898 is a better machine period.

the 3802 is in the leage of the 797/696, and there it might be better.

cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks