Opinions on deepdiscountdvd.com??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kelly Scott Rickards, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Kelly Scott Rickards

Kelly Scott Rickards Stunt Coordinator

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/
    Their prices seem to be amazing and free shipping???
    Is this too good to be true?
    Has anyone used them?
    Would you recommend someone different?
    Thoughts??

2. BrianP

BrianP Supporting Actor

They are a good store and I wouldn't hesitate buying from them. The only downside is they use media mail for their free shipping and it can take awhile for your order to arrive. I usually receive orders about 8 days after shipment in California but occasionally it can take longer.

3. PaulDee

PaulDee Auditioning

Kelly, I've ordered from them 3 different times with no problems. I'm with you, I don't know how they do it price-wise, and I don't know how long they can continue to offer low prices and free shipping, but with me, they're batting 1000 so far.

4. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    Kelly, I highly recommend Deep Discount DVD. I rarely order online anymore, but when I do I use Deep Discount DVD and DVD Empire. Both are very good places to order from. Deep Discount has great customer service to go along with those low prices.

5. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    I've purchased quite a few discs from DeepDiscountDVD over the last year and have been completely satisfied with their prices and service. I'm on the east coast and media mail shipments from them typically take 5-6 days. Their only drawback, in my opinion, is selection. They don't have as extensive an inventory of titles as some of the other online DVD retailers. But hey, you just can't beat their prices 99% of the time.

DP

6. Dave H

Dave H Producer

DDD = [​IMG]

7. chris c

chris c Stunt Coordinator

Highest recommendation!

8. David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II Second Unit

Yeah, you can't beat DeepDiscount. And their customer service is excellent. It's a week on the free shipping, but you can always upgrade for a fair price.

9. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Ditto what's said so far, best price, no problems, takes about 6-7 working days to Ca (unless something is not in stock, which I have yet to encounter).[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. mike martin

mike martin Stunt Coordinator

I'll be the first to chime in with a complaint, however it is minor. I ordered two DVD sets and paid for the express mail shipping. Fawlty towers was out of stock but was not listed on the site as such and I didn't find out until Sapranos shipped. So I got Sopranos in a timely manner and am still waiting for Towers. Also, they sent Towers through the regular mail. They must have decided that I had paid for the shipping of the first set but not the second despite the fact that the back order was their fault. That aside, they have been good and it's hard to argue the prices.

Mike

11. Tony Aguila

Tony Aguila Stunt Coordinator

I must have purchased close to 100 DVDs from them by now. So far I have only had to report one DVD as missing (over 10 working days from ship date) and even that one arrived several days later. It just cost me the media mail postage to ship that one back, and I could have even cheated and kept silent about it. :b

Anyway, you still have a choice of asking for priority mail or UPS overnight, at extra cost of course, but their prices still remain competitive most of the time.

The only disadvantage I see is not having as much control over your orders as you do with Amazon or DVD Empire, where you can cancel, update shipping, combine orders, etc. You have to do these by phone or email.

But they're good to deal with. They have about 40% of my business.

12. Jeff_P

Jeff_P Stunt Coordinator

I just placed an order for Christmas and was pleased at how fast the shipment came. I also had an item that was backordered and I was able to cancel that item by sending their customer service dept an email. I received an email later that day confirming the cacellation.

This was not my first time ordering from them and it will not be my last either. I am always satisfied with my order.

Jeff_P

13. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

Count me in as a satisfied DDD customer. The one issue I had with them: I placed an order for 3 DVDs, all listed online as in-stock. I received an email advising me that 1 item was actually not in stock and was out of print (Kwaidan: Criterion Collection, which incidentally is still in print). Well, 7 days later my order arrives including all 3 titles which I ordered. Don't know how they mixed that one up.

14. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

Deep Discount DVD? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Kelly Scott Rickards

Kelly Scott Rickards Stunt Coordinator

WOW, I guess its unanimous...
    Thanks to all...HTF RAWKS [​IMG]

16. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

I have been pleased with their service for awhile now and only recently have had problems.
    I STILL have not received War of the Roses from them yet. This was released on 12/18 but their site had a February release date for it. I called them several times alerting them to the error and each time they tell me a later date they are supposed to get it in by. Now they are telling me January 5th!
    And I received a shipping notice for The Lover along with some other MGM disc released on 12/11. However, when I got the package The Lover was not included and the packing slip had a stamp indicating it did not ship despite it being listed on the packing slip. It has taken several calls to customer service because they still showed this disc as having shipped. Apparently it's on backorder and I keep getting a new (later) date it will ship. Very frustrating.
    Other than these two instances, I have had good service for the past 8 months I have been using them. I hope these recent slip-ups aren't indicative of any decline on their part.

17. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

This is good to hear. I just placed my first order with DDD. Amazon was taking too long with my order for Sahara, The Big Heat, and The Elephant Man so I said screw it and decided to give DDD a try.

18. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>Kwaidan: Criterion Collection, which incidentally is still in print).

19. James Miller

James Miller Stunt Coordinator

Not terribly indicative of a business as a whole, I know, but my first and only order with DDD was this:

SLOW shipping.. their free shipping is USPS Media Rate (there is priority mail, then first class mail, then media rate).. took them 2-3 days to ship, then a good week to arrive... overall 9-10 days... to be fair, their Priority Mail rate is completely reasonable...

more important: the spindle in the alpha case was completely smashed, and the disc was not only loose but was wedged under one of the plastic 'booklet holder' tabs... miraculously the DVD was not scratched so I didn't bother with trying to exchange it, I simply used a spare case...

Certainly I get the occasional "slipped disc" or even broken spindles with some B&M purchases (never had a problem with another online store though) but it is a lot easier exchanging a defective disc/case locally than waiting 10 days, shipping it back and waiting another 10 days to get a replacement...

For me, given the very low prices and a bad disc on the first order I am just a bit wary now... Many others have had great experiences tho...

20. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

They seem to have good prices on ANCHOR BAY discs:

DAY THE EARTH CAUGHT FIRE $14.99

ENIGMA OF KASPER HAUSER $13.67

TWO LANE BLACK TOP $16.99

THESE 3 ARE AT LEAST $20 *PREORDER* PRICE AT MOST OTHER STORES. On the other hand....they ARE slow....

BE CAREFUL when you choose the express mail option, though they dont explicitly state so at your order, it will apply to only the first disc they ship. Any others late or pre-ordered will ship later at normal snail mail...