Opinions on computer hardware config

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Wilson, Feb 11, 2002.

1. John Wilson

John Wilson Supporting Actor

Hi. I'd like to get advice as to whether the following setup will provide a reasonably stable platform for HTPC plus a video editing system. I've yet to buy a capture card but I currently have now:

DFI CA64EN MoBo with VIA chipset

PIII-800

512 MB SDRAM PC133

80 GB WD HDD

VooDoo3 AGP video

Lite-On 24/10/40 CD-R/RW

WIN XP Pro

I'm planning to add now:

Lite-On 16x DVD with bundled PowerDVD - $58 at newegg

D-Link 530 PCI NIC - $10 at newegg

Creative Labs Soundblaster Live 5.1- $32 at newegg

Opinions? Is this a good start? Anything I'm missing?

2. Craig LeBlanc

Craig LeBlanc Stunt Coordinator

I might be wrong on this, but I do know that some VIA chipset motherboards have some problems with SB Live audio cards. So you might want to check up on that. You can probably pickup one of the SB Audigy OEM cards for $50-$60.

3. Roland_Sjouw

Roland_Sjouw Extra

4. Steve Kramzer

Steve Kramzer Stunt Coordinator

I'd upgrade the video card. WIth the Geforce 4 coming soon, prices will plumet on Geforce 3's so you should be able to get a really good deal soon.

5. Chris T. Kennedy

Chris T. Kennedy Stunt Coordinator

On Steve's comment -
    See what reviews you can get on the Geforce4's general 2D capabilities & MPEG playback. I have heard they are enhancing it, but Geforce 2D and especially Mpeg playback have SUCKED compared to what else it out there.
    Personally, I use an original Geforce DDR & have seen Geforce 2 and Geforce 3 in action and have NOT been impressed at all.
    3D has mostly been Nvidia's forte though.
    The Geforce 4 was Nvidia's answer to the ATI Radeon 8500. The Radeon has pretty good 2D/Mpeg performance and I would actually recommend that (at $164) vs the Geforce4 (at $500)
    Unless you were planning on doing a lot of 3D gaming on the HTPC as well. [​IMG]
    - Chris
    P.S. Oh! As for the soundcard, I use the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz and I am VERY happy with it. TB provides good driver support as well as e-mail support. As for home theater stuff - DD and DTS sound great.

6. Steve Kramzer

Steve Kramzer Stunt Coordinator

Oops, guess I didn't see the part about using it for a htpc. Anyways, DO NOT get the Ati 8500 as there are many driver problems and other software problems in using it to adjust things needed for it as a htpc. Get either the 7200 or 7500. Just check the www.avsforum.com htpc section for more info on the 8500's problems.