What's new

Opinions on computer hardware config (1 Viewer)

John Wilson

Supporting Actor
Hi. I'd like to get advice as to whether the following setup will provide a reasonably stable platform for HTPC plus a video editing system. I've yet to buy a capture card but I currently have now:

DFI CA64EN MoBo with VIA chipset

PIII-800

512 MB SDRAM PC133

80 GB WD HDD

VooDoo3 AGP video

Lite-On 24/10/40 CD-R/RW

WIN XP Pro

I'm planning to add now:

Lite-On 16x DVD with bundled PowerDVD - $58 at newegg

D-Link 530 PCI NIC - $10 at newegg

Creative Labs Soundblaster Live 5.1- $32 at newegg

Opinions? Is this a good start? Anything I'm missing?

Craig LeBlanc

Stunt Coordinator
I might be wrong on this, but I do know that some VIA chipset motherboards have some problems with SB Live audio cards. So you might want to check up on that. You can probably pickup one of the SB Audigy OEM cards for $50-$60.

I might be wrong on this, but I do know that some VIA chipset motherboards have some problems with SB Live audio cards. So you might want to check up on that. You can probably pickup one of the SB Audigy OEM cards for $50-$60.
The above is true, can't remember the type of chip sets but the SB Audigy OEM cards for $50-$60 should be enough.

And also for editing the idealy situation is to have a separate harddrive to edit on, because the O/S also would use the same harddrive when you're editing. Maybe you could buy a smaller harddrive or the O/S, and use the 80 Gb for editing.

For the most part, if you buy a good editing card the system should be oke...

Regards

Roland

Steve Kramzer

Stunt Coordinator
I'd upgrade the video card. WIth the Geforce 4 coming soon, prices will plumet on Geforce 3's so you should be able to get a really good deal soon.

Chris T. Kennedy

Stunt Coordinator
On Steve's comment -
See what reviews you can get on the Geforce4's general 2D capabilities & MPEG playback. I have heard they are enhancing it, but Geforce 2D and especially Mpeg playback have SUCKED compared to what else it out there.
Personally, I use an original Geforce DDR & have seen Geforce 2 and Geforce 3 in action and have NOT been impressed at all.
3D has mostly been Nvidia's forte though.
The Geforce 4 was Nvidia's answer to the ATI Radeon 8500. The Radeon has pretty good 2D/Mpeg performance and I would actually recommend that (at $164) vs the Geforce4 (at $500)
Unless you were planning on doing a lot of 3D gaming on the HTPC as well. :)
- Chris
P.S. Oh! As for the soundcard, I use the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz and I am VERY happy with it. TB provides good driver support as well as e-mail support. As for home theater stuff - DD and DTS sound great.

Steve Kramzer

Stunt Coordinator
Oops, guess I didn't see the part about using it for a htpc. Anyways, DO NOT get the Ati 8500 as there are many driver problems and other software problems in using it to adjust things needed for it as a htpc. Get either the 7200 or 7500. Just check the www.avsforum.com htpc section for more info on the 8500's problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks