What's new

Opinions on Complete Series sets (1 Viewer)

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Thanks... I found some good images online of the packaging (inside and out)... Don't look too bad. At least going by my Brady Bunch set that has similar disc holder. I will most likely be getting that ILL set.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew

Fine choice, sir. You'll be greatly entertained by the show, impressed by the quality of the image restoration, shocked by what they cut (the Phillip Morris stuff is stunning, by today's standards) and best of all, ready to go when Season One of The Lucy Show is out in July.

Oh, since you mentioned it, Flintstones is on my wish list too, but pretty far down. Got a lot of other shows I'm currently monitoring. Well, as the sig says...

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
I own the Hulk series. I wish I got the Knight Rider cause of the Light across the box. LOL I did buy the GPS model of KITT.

Hulk series boxset is a bunch of slimlines in the box is the BEST WAY TO HAVE A DVD BOXSET SERIES.

To see the best made boxsets look at FULL HOUSE, MIAMI VICE, HULK, KING OF QUEENS.

Avoid at all costs any cardboard cases or slots and especially the Brady Bunch series. I picked it up only cause of the cheap price. Also avoid The Flintstones.

THAT 70'S AGAIN THEY WENT WITH INDIVIDUAL CARDBOARD SHEET SLOts

Im waiting to see on a series that will make a DVD binder. Many people put their music cd's in those. They are another good way of presenting a boxset that way.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I would recommend The Brady Bunch, provided you consider purchasing the single-season (five boxes in all) sets. The complete series boxed set is, as a poster alluded to above, unimpressive packaging, and IMO not worth the money.

You might also consider Andromeda (the Slipstream Collection). That's the entire series, and it includes impressive packaging.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
"One-Season Wonders", Seasons that I bought One at a Time and eventually Completed, I have Ten Series that I bought Complete. They are"

Get Smart
The Incredible Hulk
Land of the Giants
The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
The Munsters
The Outer Limits
Sky King (Most Expensive Box Set ever Purchased):eek:
Space: 1999
Thunderbirds (This was the very FIRST DVD Box Set I purchased back in 2005, if I only knew where I'd be four years later!):D
U.F.O.

If all goes well I plan to Purchase Combat! during DeeDee's June Sale!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I was considering Land of the Giants for a while... but then I saw that for only 2 seasons (51 episodes)... that set is awful expensive ($199.99 at Amazon)... even if they do give you a lot of nice odds and ends with the set. So I just couldn't see doing a blind buy on that set.

Mr. Ed

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Edward Van Fossan
All I can say is that a complete collection isn't complete without the town of Mayberry North Carolina being a part of of it. The Andy Griffith Show just doesn't show case a sheriff and his bumbling sidekick. It's about an entire town, its inhabitents and the way they live, the way they care for one another, treat one another and their simple way of life. There is a lot here for eight seasons. Some just care about the early years with Don Knotts. Yes, Barney was a great character, but the show didn't die without him. I say go for it.

Also for a change of pace. Give Sanford and Son a try. The Dick Van Dyke Show. Little House on The Prairie, The Waltons,Three's Company.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

You can't go wrong with the complete Combat! set. It contains the same Extras as the individual season sets with the advantage of slimpacks. If I could have waited, I'd have bought the complete set.

Sky King: I wanted to get that set but I passed ($$'s).

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Me too, Jeff. But that one is way overpriced.

Gary "where's that complete Rifleman set at?" O.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
No kidding. I checked out Sky King just out of curiosity and almost had a stroke.

Then I saw what they want for the complete series of the new BS:G and am wondering if this is a trend.

Shame they won't do Sky King as seasons, then we'd be talking.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I do admit there was ONE letdown when purchasing Sky King and that is there is only one way to purchase it, and that's through their Website.:frowning: You cannot get it through Deedee's or some other retailor, otherwise I would have gotten it during one of their semi-annual sales. If you want this one you'll just have to "Bite the Bullet" and $plurge.

On the bright side, once you've got it, IT'S YOURS! Your Wallet is considerably lighter, but that's all behind you now!:D

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
How would you rate the picture quality of the Sky King set? I know that's a subjective thing to rate, but what would you compare it to other classic releases in picture Q? Say, how does it compare with the Dick Van Dyke set, Combat!, Rifleman MPI Box sets, Honey West set, etc?

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I would recommend picking up 'Northern Exposure the Complete Series' or the Miami Vice complete series.

As far as Brady Bunch, you can get the individual season sets for about $100 and not have to worry about defective sets or ugly packaging. Target B&M has Season 1 on sale for $20, and you can get the rest of the sets online or at FYE for right about that price as well. I have all five seasons of the separate sets and I would not trade them for the complete series set, which is hideously designed.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Thank you all for your help. I got my money so placed an order first thing this morning. Despite the packaging I decided I wanted I Love Lucy: The Complete Series the most. Plus also picked up a few other cheap sets on sale.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Out of curiosity, what were the other sets?

And, no pun intended, you're going to love Lucy. Truly a classic in every sense of the word.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Whoops... sorry!
I ended up getting a few on sale...

- I Love Lucy: The Complete Series ($120 @ Columbia House)
- Time Tunnel: Vol. 2 ($16.49 @ Amazon)
- Ghost Whisperer: Season 3 ($33.49 @ Amazon)
- A Haunting in Connecticut /A Haunting in Georgia Double Feature ($6.74 @ Deep Discount)
- Everybody Loves Raymond: Season 4 ($15.25 @ Deep Discount)

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
I didn't like the Lucy Set cause the discs are just in the Heart shaped box. How do you guys like the set itself?

I really don't appreciate how they did the I Dream Of Jeannie set. They're placed in that bottle set up similar to Brady set.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I will have to let you know on the I Love Lucy set... but I heard nothing but good things for the set itself... the packaging seems to be the only drawback to the set.

I considered the I Dream of Jeannie set until I found out they used the colorized version of season one in the complete set.

For the most part I try not to allow the packaging alone stop me from a purchase of any set. Though I must admit I didn't like The Brady Bunch packaging and don't think I will like the I Love Lucy packaging. I will just have to be extremely careful when I get the handle the discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks