What's new

Opinions on buying demo speakers (1 Viewer)

jon_ad

Stunt Coordinator
I was looking into buying some demo speakers at a local shop because of the great savings over the new price. Should i worry because they have been used so much for demos or are speakers something that this doesn't matter much for as opposed to buying demo TVs.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
As long as they give you the full warranty, I wouldn't worry about them. They will probably already be broke in for you. Just make sure of the warranty............ Good luck! :emoji_thumbsup:

Steve Crowley

Stunt Coordinator
Warrenty and discounts are what you should make sure the dealer authorizes before the sale. Get it in writing and you should be safe. Cheers.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Normaly I would say "go ahead and buy em'"....but after going witha buddy to audition speakers and seeing what place put these speakers through I wouldn't buy em'. Some of these places (and VERY well respected b&m places) would blast the speakers to rediculous levels. I do not understand why places feel the need to jack the volume up above reference levels to show off their stuff. At any rate, see if you can score a deal on-line or at another place and see if they will come down on the price on a new one.

John S

Senior HTF Member
"Normaly I would say "go ahead and buy em'"....but after going witha buddy to audition speakers and seeing what place put these speakers through I wouldn't buy em'. Some of these places (and VERY well respected b&m places) would blast the speakers to rediculous levels. I do not understand why places feel the need to jack the volume up above reference levels to show off their stuff. At any rate, see if you can score a deal on-line or at another place and see if they will come down on the price on a new one. "

LOL Sounds like what some of my friends tell me about me and my own system when they come over....

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
LOL, yeah believe me, I'm not saying I don't turn it up I just wonder how many times those speakers have been abused over the months they sit on the sales floor.

Aaron_Mum

Stunt Coordinator
I have a friend who did warranty repair on speakers. When I was looking at buying a demo pair he wanted me to remember that sometimes it is tough to tell if a speaker is damaged from misuse rather than a problem with the manufacturer. Since you do not know the history of the demo pair you could still get burned even if they are covered by a full warranty.

I ended up getting my new speakers for the same price as the demo's. Try and work over your salesmen and see if he can sweeten the deal on a new pair!

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Generally, demo speakers will carry the full warranty, I'd verify that they do and if so, go for it. It's a good way to save yourself money and get speakers that have been broken in. I agree, some B&M's might abuse demo gear but none I've dealt with or worked for have.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've bought demo speakers a number of times and never had any problems. I say go for it, if it's a good deal. If they don't sound like there is anything wrong with them, they will most likely be fine.

One pair of speakers I bought was sold at a rediculous discount because the grills were damaged - the little plastic retainers were broken off. It cost me $1.50 to repair them. :D I'd say I got the better end of the deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks