1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on buying demo speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by jon_ad, Jan 15, 2004.

1. jon_ad

jon_ad Stunt Coordinator

I was looking into buying some demo speakers at a local shop because of the great savings over the new price. Should i worry because they have been used so much for demos or are speakers something that this doesn't matter much for as opposed to buying demo TVs.

2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    As long as they give you the full warranty, I wouldn't worry about them. They will probably already be broke in for you. Just make sure of the warranty............ Good luck! [​IMG]

3. Steve Crowley

Steve Crowley Stunt Coordinator

Warrenty and discounts are what you should make sure the dealer authorizes before the sale. Get it in writing and you should be safe. Cheers.

4. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Normaly I would say "go ahead and buy em'"....but after going witha buddy to audition speakers and seeing what place put these speakers through I wouldn't buy em'. Some of these places (and VERY well respected b&m places) would blast the speakers to rediculous levels. I do not understand why places feel the need to jack the volume up above reference levels to show off their stuff. At any rate, see if you can score a deal on-line or at another place and see if they will come down on the price on a new one.

5. John S

John S Producer

"Normaly I would say "go ahead and buy em'"....but after going witha buddy to audition speakers and seeing what place put these speakers through I wouldn't buy em'. Some of these places (and VERY well respected b&m places) would blast the speakers to rediculous levels. I do not understand why places feel the need to jack the volume up above reference levels to show off their stuff. At any rate, see if you can score a deal on-line or at another place and see if they will come down on the price on a new one. "

LOL Sounds like what some of my friends tell me about me and my own system when they come over....

6. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

LOL, yeah believe me, I'm not saying I don't turn it up I just wonder how many times those speakers have been abused over the months they sit on the sales floor.

7. Aaron_Mum

Aaron_Mum Stunt Coordinator

I have a friend who did warranty repair on speakers. When I was looking at buying a demo pair he wanted me to remember that sometimes it is tough to tell if a speaker is damaged from misuse rather than a problem with the manufacturer. Since you do not know the history of the demo pair you could still get burned even if they are covered by a full warranty.

I ended up getting my new speakers for the same price as the demo's. Try and work over your salesmen and see if he can sweeten the deal on a new pair!

8. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

Generally, demo speakers will carry the full warranty, I'd verify that they do and if so, go for it. It's a good way to save yourself money and get speakers that have been broken in. I agree, some B&M's might abuse demo gear but none I've dealt with or worked for have.

9. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

If they carry the full warranty, go for it. They are broken in for you already. [​IMG]

10. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I've bought demo speakers a number of times and never had any problems. I say go for it, if it's a good deal. If they don't sound like there is anything wrong with them, they will most likely be fine.

One pair of speakers I bought was sold at a rediculous discount because the grills were damaged - the little plastic retainers were broken off. It cost me $1.50 to repair them. [​IMG] I'd say I got the better end of the deal.