Opinions on "Bronx Tale" DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Piers C, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Piers C

Piers C Stunt Coordinator

Member feedback on the DVD? I have not found any offical reviews for this release so anything would be appreciated.

2. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

I love this film. Well, actually, I love most DeNiro films. [​IMG]
    It is a widescreen presentation, but non-anamorphic. I was quite pleased with the video transfer, however. It has no extras to speak of except the theatrical trailer, but considering this one can be picked up for well under $10.00 I would (highly) recommend you do so. [​IMG]

3. Sam E. Torres

Sam E. Torres Second Unit

i haven't watched this dvd in a while. but i mean, i'm usually the "it looks fine on my 27" tv" guy on the forum...and i still noticed that the transfer looked really bad at times; especially any scenes that are set at night. the dvd is still decent, and i highly doubt we'll be getting anything better until hd. the dvd has a trailer and a making of featurette i believe.

4. Gerhard

Gerhard Stunt Coordinator

I wish they will release "Tribecka"1993 TV series as well.

Tribeca, or more precisely "TriBeCa," is the Triangle Below Canal, a roughly triangular neighborhood at the lower end of Manhattan bounded by Canal Street on the north, Broadway, and the Hudson River. Robert DeNiro grew up not too far away in Little Italy, so when he decided to make an anthology series about life in the most exciting city in the world, he found the perfect setting among Tribeca's eclectic architecture and lifestyles. The seven episodes of Tribeca showcase a range of human stories uniquely New York. Among the better episodes:

"The Box." A cop tries to deal with the death of his older brother, murdered during a robbery on his morning run through Battery Park. His tortuous efforts to open a puzzle box given by his brother parallel his efforts to find peace with himself. A splendid start for the series, with Laurence Fishburne's Emmy Award-winning performance as the anguished cop. Series regular Joe Morton makes his first appearance as a mounted policeman trying to talk his fellow cop out of doing something stupid.

"The Loft." Three teens move to the City and renovate a vacant loft rented to them by the kindly cafe owner played by Philip Bosco. The girl is mistaken for a criminal one night and the two boys spend the night searching for their jailed friend. This provides a great look at the energy that always permeates this city that never sleeps.

"Heros Exoletus" examines a couple deciding between the aggravating, impersonal, intimate, and always exhilarating pulse of life in the City compared with the disconnection of the suburbs.

"Honor" tackles the ease with which the homeless are ignored.

Executive producer DeNiro insisted on filming the entire series in New York, and the sense of verisimilitude is overwhelming. This is a series that lets you see New York from the viewpoint of a native, not a tourist.

5. John Macri

John Macri Stunt Coordinator

On my 40" 16x9 I don't recall any problems with the picture, and the sound was adequate. I enjoyed the film, an entertaining story with solid performances, although my wife (a Bronx native) pointed out that the locations weren't in the Bronx...

6. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

I agree with Sam, this was noticeably less than okay. Very watchable, though, and with a SRP of $14.99, a movie definitely worth buying even if the video quality is kind of disappointing.

7. Piers C

Piers C Stunt Coordinator

Thanks to all of the members above for the feedback!

My interest was in the DVD transfer quality, as I am familiar with the film. I'm at a point where I'd prefer only to buy titles when the quality is outstanding even at this low price. I'd rather reward great transfers.

It hurts me to say that b/c I love De Niro & a lot of minor actors in this film have gone on to do some interesting stuff!

8. Dale MA

Dale MA Screenwriter

Dale
    What are the chances of us seeing a SE of A Bronx Tale? Which studio owns it?

9. SteveCallas

SteveCallas Second Unit

I'm one who usually doesn't care too much about video quality, I'm way more into audio. But I agree with Sam, on my 27" tv it still looks pretty bad.