What's new

Opinions on B&W DM602 S2, CC6 S2 & LM1 ??? (1 Viewer)

Shawn Sefranek

Second Unit
I’m putting together a complete Theater Room for my Brother-in-law and the budget for speakers is around 1,400 without a Sub.

I was checking out a Home Theater shop that recently opened nearby and the salesman was making some recommendations for a complete system.

I was originally looking at the Atlantic Technology 350 System that OneCall is clearing out because I have Atlantics (370 Series) myself.

The salesman asked if I had considered B&W.

I told him I hadn’t because I didn’t think they had anything that would fit into that price range.

This is what he put together:

Fronts: DM602 S2

Center: CC6 S2

Surrounds: LM1

He can do all these for about 1130.

Any opinions on this setup ???

It’s going to powered by a Denon 3802.

BASS will be handled by a single powered SVS. (Probably 25-31PC)

The system will be in a completely sealed 17 x 14 room.

Thanks,

Shawn S

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
its a great set up. I would prefer the 601s for the rear and a LCR6 for the center, but it is still good.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
That is a great set-up, but I do agree with Rodney. The 601s are a better choice for the rears because the drivers match those in the 602s. Also, I prefer the LCR6 to the CC6. If you stepped up to the 01s and the LCR, you should be right at $1400. It is worth the extra couple hundred IMO, but you should have him take an audition trip with you and see for himself.

Jer

Jim_F

Screenwriter
That sounds like an excellent set. I have a pair of the 602-S2s and a LCR6-S2 in one of my setups. I also use LM1s for my bedroom stereo.

The LCR6 is a very nice speaker. If one sits far back and off center, they may experience a dropoff with this model (it's never been a problem for me, though) Some folks think that the CC6 S2 is underrrated, but I can't comment from experience.

If the LM1s must be used for practical or asthetic purposes, don't fret, because these are very nice little speakers. They sound great with a little help from a subwoofer to "flesh out" the sound.

I more or less agree with the above opinions on the 601s and LCR, but, for the money (and maybe a little less if you work the salesman a bit) you've hit upon a VERY nice speaker setup for movies as well as music.

Pat Underwood

Auditioning
I agree with the other posts, I have the DM602 along with the CC6 center running with denon 3300. I have always felt that the CC6 sounded a little thin. The LCR6 has a step up in drivers that gives it a more full sound IMHO. Unfortunatly I can't get wife approval for the LCR6 because it is quite a bit larger than the CC6, maybe someday.

Matt Bloxham

Agent
I must also agree with the other members. I too have the 602 S2 for the fronts with the 601 S2 for the rears. At this time I have a Polk CSI400 for my center, but will be upgrading to the CDM CNT center soon. I demoed many speakers and couldn't believe the sound for the price, as well as getting the excellent build quality and technology that they are famous for:)
Just my 2cents!

James D

Second Unit
I just read in my current issue of Stereophile that the S3 line will be coming out soon. You might want to wait and see what improvements B&W has made to an already excellent series of speakers. You might also be able to get a lower price on the S2 since the new line will be out shortly.

From my own auditioning, the B&W series is an outstanding upgrade from the Atlantic Technology series, particularly in the area of music reproduction. If this is at all important for you, I'd go for it.

-A.

Greg Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
Agree with most here. The B&Ws sound great. I was considering getting the 602 s2's for a while, but like has been mentioned here, there are problems with both center speakers available in the 600 line. The CC6 is weaker sounding than any mains you'll put with them, and the LCR6 is great as long as you sit on axis (which is really narrow with that speaker).

But of course, maybe your brother-in-law won't hear any deficiencies. Yank him into the store with ya and see what he thinks.

Carl Philip

Agent
just a question..why do you wanna go for the S2 series, when it has already been replaced by the S3 series? ok, the S3´s are far more expensive than the S2´s (at least here in sweden), but still..getting something old?
however, i´ve been auditioning the S2 and S3 series and liked ´em both..maybe i preferred the S3´s a a little bit more but it might have been a placebo effect ;)

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Carl,

Unfortuantely, we in the US don't have them yet (I think). At least my local shop doesn't have them. There also doesn't appear to be any information on the B&W website. Click on the icons and no specs or pics. Just model names and a little blurb. What was the price differential for the S3's?

Anyhow, back to the topic on hand, I love my 602 S2's. I just have them broken in this week and they sound great. I think it's the best value in the B&W line. I also have an LCR6 center vs. the CC6 based on past threads here on HTF on the CC6 that it's a bit overpowered by the 602s. The same theme can be found on audioreview.com comments on both centers.

I'm also mulling over 601's vs. 602's. I found the LM1's a bit thin sounding vs. 601's and 602's. I think it will be worth the extra $100-150 for matching speakers all around. But that will be a bit later next year.

In either case, you'll have a great sounding system with either 600 S2's.

Bob

Carl Philip

Agent
bob: the price tag on the 602 S2´s here in sweden was about $360 US and the 603s are $500 US and the S2s aren´t obtainable still. quite a big difference i must say..and the soundquality doesn´t justify the extra $140 IMHO.

however..i´m going for a pair of 601/602 S3s pretty soon

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
I have 600 series 2 speakers all around. I almost went with LM-1's in the rear, but ended up with a pair of second-hand (absolutely NEVER used!) 601 S2's. If WAF enters into the equation, I would gladly take the LM-1's and run. If not, I would stick with matching speakers all the way around.
Pete
BTW, Greg, I LOVE that Ben Franklin tagline!! :D

Richard_T

Second Unit
I am using 602 S2's up front with the CC6 center and I am very happy. I guess it's just me but I like the CC6. It may be a bit thin but voices are very clear and clean. I love the 602 S2 though. When playing music, you just feel how tight they are. I am using a pair of castle Trent IIs as my rears which are quite good but don't match the B&W's very well. Maybe if I get clearance from my SO, I'll be replacing them with a pair of 601's which seem to match them very nicely. I'd say go for the B&W's Pete, they are an excellent speaker in and around their price range. Your brother-in-law won't be sorry.:D

Greg Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Pete. Cheers!
smiley_beertoast.gif

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
whatever you do, stay away from the CC6, it sucks, I got rid of it and replaced it with a CC3 (honestly, it sounded better, but didn't match the other B&Ws). My next solution was to get the LCR6, but the axis is a little narrow, and I was looking around, and realized that the CDMCNT was only $100 more than the LCR6, so I got it. Since then I was so impressed I got the CDM7NT fronts (careful Matt, what you wish for) and the 601 rears.

Shawn Sefranek

Second Unit
Thanks for all the responses to my question.

As for further upgrades and price increases, that’s up to the buyer.

I plan to go back to the store with him this weekend and let him give the equipment a listen.

I really don’t think he will approve of any further upgrades.

The budget he gave me was 5,000 and right now I’m at 5,300 and I still need to buy a video cable, speaker wire & a surge protector.

I think he will be pleasantly surprised in what I put together.

He’s going from a 20-year old Technics 2-Channel rack system with a 25”TV to a 50” Widescreen HDTV, B&W speakers, Denon 3802 Receiver, powered SVS Sub & Sony Progressive DVD.

Thanks again for the info,

Shawn S

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks