Opinions on Audiotron

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nathan Patrick, Aug 8, 2001.

1. Nathan Patrick

I was wondering if anyone has used this piece of equipment. What are your impressions? Is is it easy to select specific MP3's? How is the sound quality? For those of you who don't know what it is: www.audiotron.net

2. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

Nathan, someone here at HFT uses it. Try a search in the Music section.
    ------------------
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html
    [​IMG]

3. Alan Wild

Alan Wild Stunt Coordinator

I have one and love it. The latest Beta firmware lets me play Internet Radio (specifically shoutcast and icecast) through my receiver. 96kb/44KHz certainly isn't CD quality but it IS better than listening to the radio and I have a lot better selection of listening material off of my cable modem.
    The other real advantage is I have effectively an "unlimited" CD changer. The newer firmwares allow to store like 30,000 .mp3 files which is almost 2000 CDs worth of music. Audio quality using the SPDIF out is great. Really the quality of the MP3 file becomes the only issue at that point. Most people agree that MP3 isn't CD quality but for background music it's more than sufficient.
    I, personally, love my audiotron. I think it's one of the coolest pieces of gear in my rack.
    I still use my RP91K with DVDA or CD's for "critical" listening, but being able to tune http://www.netrockradio.com in my living room or randomly playing all of my Blues tracks is just incredibly cool.
    -Alan

4. Rob Braden

Rob Braden Auditioning

I've got an AudioTron, I love it! I highly recommend using the S/PDIF output, the analog section leaves a little bit to be desired. Using the S/PDIF, sound quality is mostly dependent on your encoder and settings. I'm using the LAME encoder, 192kbps VBR, stereo, which yields excellent results, for MP3. I use it all the time for casual listening.
    Rob

5. Nathan Patrick

Thanks guys,
    I might go over to my local Best Buy to see if they have any. I was originally going to get a DVD changer with mp3 support but it sounds like this will work much better.

6. Rob Braden

Rob Braden Auditioning

I'll second the praise for the latest beta software. The web interface is handy, and I'm digging the streaming net radio as well.
    My decision was between an Audiotron and a CD jukebox. I decided the Audiotron would be much more versatile, and I haven't regretted the decision one bit. I love to put my whole collection on "Random". I've found myself listening to stuff that had been gathering dust for a long time.
    I haven't yet organized my collection by genre, that's an upcoming project. [​IMG]
    Rob