1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

opinions on Acoustic Research HC2 package?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Hammerly, Jul 25, 2001.

1. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

Trying a different route since no one looked at my other post. [​IMG] I was looking at this setup for my father-in-law. It comes with the S112PS sub. Would this be adequate coupled with a decent yamaha receiver like the HTR-5450? I know he likes listening to music as well as HT. I like these speakers becase they seem to pack a lot of punch for under $500. Is there any others that we should consider in our search for a speaker setup under $650 or so. I was also thinking Energy take5 and the velodyne setup at onecall (http://www.onecall.com/SPL_514.htm). thanks for the input.

2. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

Anyone listen to any of these smaller HT packages? I would love some thoughtful advice. thanks

3. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

I own a pair of AR The Edge wall mountable speakers that I'm using as surrounds and I think they're great, especially for the price. On the other hand, I don't think much of the AR subs that I've heard, including the S112PS that you're considering. Based on my experience, it didn't seem to take much to bottom these things out.
    I haven't had the opportunity to hear any of the Energy speakers but they seem to get glowing reveiws around here.
    I do own a Velodyne CT-120, however, that I like very much....hopefully I'll still feel that way after I hear my friend's SVS Ultra this coming Saturday, but then again we're not comparing apples to apples here. [​IMG]
    If the Energy/Velodyne package comes with the CT-100 or the CT-120, it would get my recommendation over the AR package. If the sub that comes with it is the CT-80 I would look elsewhere.....I found it to be underpowered and lacking any real oomph.
    Just my $0.02 worth.
    ------------------