opinions on Acoustic Research HC2 package?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Hammerly, Jul 25, 2001.

1. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

Trying a different route since no one looked at my other post. [​IMG] I was looking at this setup for my father-in-law. It comes with the S112PS sub. Would this be adequate coupled with a decent yamaha receiver like the HTR-5450? I know he likes listening to music as well as HT. I like these speakers becase they seem to pack a lot of punch for under $500. Is there any others that we should consider in our search for a speaker setup under $650 or so. I was also thinking Energy take5 and the velodyne setup at onecall (http://www.onecall.com/SPL_514.htm). thanks for the input.

2. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

Anyone listen to any of these smaller HT packages? I would love some thoughtful advice. thanks

3. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

I own a pair of AR The Edge wall mountable speakers that I'm using as surrounds and I think they're great, especially for the price. On the other hand, I don't think much of the AR subs that I've heard, including the S112PS that you're considering. Based on my experience, it didn't seem to take much to bottom these things out.
    I haven't had the opportunity to hear any of the Energy speakers but they seem to get glowing reveiws around here.
    I do own a Velodyne CT-120, however, that I like very much....hopefully I'll still feel that way after I hear my friend's SVS Ultra this coming Saturday, but then again we're not comparing apples to apples here. [​IMG]
    If the Energy/Velodyne package comes with the CT-100 or the CT-120, it would get my recommendation over the AR package. If the sub that comes with it is the CT-80 I would look elsewhere.....I found it to be underpowered and lacking any real oomph.
    Just my $0.02 worth.
    ------------------